New and scared

• 2 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi all, I had some innocent looking polyps removed last week and my surgeon called to say that when they were analysed in the lab that they were actually cancer. Currently waiting for an urgent staging MRI. I'm 33 and my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and so this is all very shocking and upsetting. She did say the it looked like the cells were grade 1 and that's all she knew. I've had some abdominal discomfort and numbness in my leg (on and off) for about a year now, so that all feels very ominous. I haven't told my mum and sister as I think their upset will make me feel worse. This is all very hard to take in!

• Hi Alijilali,

Sorry to hear your troubles. My own daughter had trouble getting pregnant. She was told if they flush everything through, women are often pregnant within 6 months, they don't know why!!! It was true for my daughter. If you are early stage you might not need further treatment, but make sure you tell them your plans. There might be ways round it. xxxx

• Hi . I'm in a similar position to you though just a little bit older and had a very small polyp removed that was for three years considered "innocuous and benign". I still had very regular (too regular) periods. I have no children but have never wanted any so it was a clear cut decision to opt for a hysterectomy. My consultant was fully prepared for me not to have that attitude and had an action-plan in place should I need to bide myself more time to have a family (I saw loads of notes on his screen). I'm assuming as you've only had a call with your consultant you'll have a better opportunity to speak one-to-one. I never asked mine to elaborate but there are other options they can try.