Upcoming Hysterectomy and BSO

• 51 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hello,

I have been booked for a hysterectomy and BSO (bilateral salpingo-oopherectomy) this coming Thursday 5th May and feeling very nervous. I was told that my cancer is grade 2 but the biopsy couldn’t tell if it has spread. And this is what’s worrying me. It’s been really tough and I’m doing my best to stay positive and brave.

Please would be very grateful for any advice, words of wisdom to help calm my nerves. Thank you so much for your time.

• Bless you, you’ve had a shock and you’re on the emotional roller coaster, so it’s understandable that you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed. Really pleased for you that you’ve got your op date through so quickly. I had an MRI after my hysteroscopy results so I had an idea of the staging, but the staging (spread) is only known for definite after your hysterectomy histology results are through. Mine was predicted as stage 1a, but it was restaged to stage 2 after my op even though the spread was only within the uterus (cells found on the cervix as well). I can’t tell you not to worry, because we all do and it’s normal to worry. All I can do is encourage you to try and concentrate your focus on the here and now, one step at a time, instead of letting your mind race ahead. If your op is done laparoscopically, you may be able to come home the following day if all is well. I had my op on a Saturday morning and came home Sunday afternoon. Some hospitals let you home the same day even but mine doesn’t do that yet. Have you packed your bag yet? What time do you have to be there? 

• Hi there.  Nice to see you on here.  You will get very good advice and encouragement from all the lovely ladies on here. They have all been on the same journey so can answer honestly any questions you might have.  

I am in exactly the same place as you, my op is also on Thursday.  I am trying to stay positive and I can’t wait to get this horrible thing out of my body.  I was told mine is stage 3 but I am trying to stay positive and wait for the final results after the op. 

Wishing you good luck with your op and I am sending a big hug to you. Stay strong and we can catch up after the main event. 

Love to you.   Maureen. Xx

• Thank you so much for your message, it means a lot. I can’t help but think that the reason for an urgent operation is because it’s serious and has spread and that they’re just not telling me.

The consultant said she will decide on the day whether to do a laparoscopic or abdominal, is this normal?

Sorry I’m a bit of an emotional wreck at the moment.

No I haven’t packed my bag yet. They’ve asked me to come in for 7:30 but can only advise me the time of my operation on the day. Apparently there are 3 of us booked in that day for surgery.

Thank you again, really appreciate it. 

• Thank you so much Maureen. I wish the same for you. All the very best on your op and will definitely catch up after the main event.

Any advise on what to pack? Sending you a big hug Xx

• No not necessarily at all! It could be that they’ve caught up on their lockdown backlog and are able to act quickly which is super! Yes it is normal - my consultant told me he’d hope mine was laparoscopic but it would all depend on whether he could get to everything he wanted to on the day. So that will be one thing to ask as soon as you come round from the anaesthetic afterwards! Coming in either early morning or lunchtime is normal too. I got to Southampton at 7.30 but the operating order isn’t decided till the day and I walked to theatre about 11.30. I wrote a hysterectomy diary thread when I had mine - I could put a link to it here if you wanted?

• Yes please. And thank you once again for your reply. Xx

• Thank you so much for your detailed diary. I feel so much better for reading it and not at all nervous now I know what to expect. It’s good to have all your thoughts and experiences in black  and white.  I will certainly be reading it all again before Thursday.  

Big hugs to everyone who has gone through the journey or like me just starting. 

thanks ladies for all the advice and positive thoughts.   Maureen xx

• Thank you so much for these!
    So helpful and informative, I feel less anxious now that I know what to expect.Loved reading your diary.

And like Maureen, I shall read it again before my op.

Thank you and big hugs Xx

Now, let me get my Bridget Jones knickers!