After care

• 6 replies
  • 88 subscribers

I was diagnosed with stage 1 in February,  had a full hysterectomy in March and told 2 weeks later that I don't need any further treatment.  I feel very grateful for my care. But now 8 weeks later, I'm a mess. I'm crying all the time, have no energy and would quite happily sit in  my bedroom all day and hide from the world. I feel as though I have been abandoned. We took your bits out now go home and get on with it.

I'm struggling to come to terms with all this, I know I'm so lucky it was caught early and that I don't have to face the trauma of further treatment but I just feel as if there should be someone or somewhere to turn to for emotional support.

Physical I'm getting there but I can feel myself in a downward spiral mentally. My husbands health is very bad just now so I'm also trying to support him.

• I dont know where to turn to, or is this it? Do I just try to keep my head above water.
  • Hi . I've heard from so many ladies in the same position as you struggling with the fact they had cancer, had an operation and now it's gone. It's a huge bombshell to be told you have cancer and boosh, it's gone. Your brain is still coming to terms you've got cancer! Many ladies in the same situation have gone on to have counselling so have a chat with your CNS to see if she can offer any advice as to who to contact.

Don't forget you've had major surgery so it will take a little while for your energy levels to return to normal. Don't beat yourself up, be positive you've beat cancer - well done you!

I've attached a link to some reading matter Life after cancer, you might find helpful, just click on the link.

You could also contact the Macmillan Support Helpline, freephone number shown below and speak to a nurse.

Sending hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you. I'll make contact with someone. Please know I am grateful for your help.

• Hi I was exactly like you try find some of my posts! But now nearly 18 months later I am fine have a wobble now and again but that’s normal u will get threw this xxx

• Hi Peridot,

You are still recovering from your operation. I myself felt fine until I was told I needed no more check ups and went on to a system where I report any problems. Initially I was petrified. It was if my security blanket had been pulled out from underneath me! After I had got used to the idea, I decided I was being unreasonable. The medical people have far worse folks to deal with!! I'm sure you will get there in time. It took me 3 months to feel anywhere near normal again.xx

• Hi   You've had some great advice from Barb and you are not unusual in feeling the way you do.  I remember coping quite well initially - focusing on each step of the diagnosis and treatment.  I thought I would feel elated and upbeat once all that was done but instead I felt insecure and lost.   Counselling can sometimes be difficult to access and on this forum I saw how different people coped with their situation.  Meditation using an app like "Headspace" seemed one route.  Some people found creative activities like knitting or art a welcome distraction. ( it's difficult to think of anything else when following a complicated pattern!)  Gbear wrote movingly about how art helped her through difficult times.  There was also a thread called "3 Good Things" which followed the theory that a more positive outlook was helped if each day you wrote down 3 things that went well for you,  

Good luck

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

• Hi

Haven't heard from you in a while, how are things going?

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett