Hello

• 6 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hello all, just joined this group. I’m currently having chemo for recurrence of stage 3 serous endometrial cancer and half way through CT results are encouraging.I just wondered if anyone had tried with meds like Metformin and statins which I’ve read about?

• Hello Nanabear

Glad you've joined this elite club! You will find many ladies on here with same diagnosis and willing to share their experiences and support you. I've also been diagnosed with SEROUS Grade 3 stage 1a. My operation was in January and histology shows cancer confined to a polyp in the womb, all else was clear,  I've just completed 2 chemo cycles. To help me understand how you are where you are now can you please if you are able to explain what has happened so far. What stage were you after hysterectomy and how long after did you recur? What symptoms did you have, did you also have adjuvant chemo after the hysterectomy? X

Madesp 
  • Hi and a warm welcome to our group. I also recurred after 10 or 11 months. Just completed 6 cycles of chemo and scan after cycle 3 was good and have next can at the end of May.

I've not heard of starving the cancer by using Metformin and statins(already on them) but I'll certainly look into it with my Oncologist. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Mad, good to hear from you. I was first diagnosed in March 2020 after starting to bleed 12 years post menopause. I had the hysterectomy in the April and although they were sure they had got it all because  it was serous carcinosarcoma stage 3a they deemed it necessary to follow up with 6 cycles of taxol and carboplatin in case there were any micro cells lurking. I completed that in September 2020 and hoped that was the end of it however in October 2021 my Gynae nurse thought there was “something” there at the top of the vaginal vault. I had a bit of aching in the pelvic region but nothing to write home about. Then I started bleeding again, hardly anything but enough to cause concern. Again my gynae nurse was brilliant organising scans etc but I had to wait until after Christmas to see the Oncologist. Anyway it was the same type of cancer but this time considered incurable, bit of a bombshell when I thought things had been going well. But as I said treatment so far is encouraging in that the 2 tumours have almost halved in size and 3 more cycles to go so fingers and everything else crossed that it will continue to have effect and I’m a stubborn so and so I don’t give in easily. Anyway enough about me the best of luck with your treatment and all the other ladies going through this, I do feel though that endometrial cancer doesn’t seem to get the same attention as some other cancers, maybe I’m biased?

• Hi Mrs BJH ,thankyou for the warm welcome, wishing you all the love and luck with your treatment, they’ve also told me it’s incurable but you never know do you , we just have to keep going and keep as well as possible.

best wishes Nanabear

• Hi Nanabear

I've looked at cancer books on Amazon.

It's interesting but depends on whether these drugs are approved by Nice as to whether anyone will prescribe them for cancer.  There lies the problem of obtaining them, which is why I didn't buy the book!

Apologies if I've got this wrong, I'm just looking at it from an NHS slant.

Warm welcome to the group, Nanabear. Best wishes with your treatment.

Amanda

• Hi Amanda, thanks for your reply. I think when you’re going through this you look to try anything you think might help, but as you say it’s interesting but would be unlikely to be prescribed on NHS. There is a clinic in London that would provide these meds but it’s pretty expensive. I just wondered if anyone had actually tried this regime? Thanks again.

nanabear