MRI day

• 3 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Good morning. I am new to the group but have been reading all of your very helpful posts since I was diagnosed on 31/3. I am 49 and have been diagnosed with womb cancer which they have told me they believe is early stages, grade 1a or b. 
I have my MRI today and I just wondered if anyone could tell me roughly how long before you get the results re stage etc. 

thank you so much

• Hi Annie,

I'm not sure I got any results from my MRI. I thought that was to help them plan my operation. They don't know the definite grade or stage until after the operation, but in my case it was the same. I was Stage 1a grade 2, and needed no other treatment. I am coming up to 5 years post operation. The MRI was noisy, and once when it stopped, I was just wondering if I should get someone when it started up again! Good luck. xxx 

• Hi  and welcome to our group in the Online Community. We've a lovely group of ladies who've all been where you find yourself now and have a wealth of knowledge and support to share.

The MRI results seem to take 10 days to 2 weeks to come through, there may then be a CT scan ordered. The MDT (Multi Discipline Team consist of surgeons, anaesthetists, oncologists, cns and theatre staff) will then meet, usually on a weekly basis, to discuss results and devise a plan of action.

Until the organ and tissue histology results are to hand after a hysterectomy your stage and grade can't be confirmed. This also takes into account LVSI (Lymph Vascular space invasion) and Lymph node scores. After that you plane of adjuvant treatment will be planned

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Annie, I was diagnosed back in November, and had my MRI and chest X Ray 4 days later. That was on a Tuesday and I was fortunate in that results came back quickly and I got a phone call from my CNS two days later to invite me for a face to face with my consultant on the Friday afternoon (my  MDT meet on a Friday morning so it was just luck that the results happened to come in before that). I was very fortunate to get mine within 3 days - most people wait longer. FWIW my MRI confirmed what the hysteroscopy has said re probably grade and stage.