Womb Cancer

• 27 replies
  • 93 subscribers

Hello, just diagnosed with stage one womb cancer this past week. My emotions are all over the place. Just numb and shocked.

• Hi sorry to hear about your diagnosis, it is a different time and you go through a rollercoaster of emotions.  All the ladies here are really friendly and helpful and good listeners.  Any questions you have ask and there will be someone who can ho as we are all at different stages of the the journey. X

• Thank you I just keep thinking this is going to be a long haul. I haven't felt like myself for quite awhile. Tired and achy for months. I just thought it was my age. I started spotting blood a day before my 60th birthday last month. Strange my partner convinced me to call my doctors. A week later I was at the hospital with all the usual tests and a biopsy done. A week later I received the dreaded phone call. MRI done a few days later. That was not nice. Stage one and it looks like contained. Everybody is like that's good. Idk I still have Cancer and I have to have Surgery. I know waiting for it is going to be hard. Is there a average wait time for a hysterectomy? Just want to get it over so I can heal and hopefully be back to myself. 

• Hi Squirrelee sorry you are going through this. I think they called me to clinic mid December to inform me my biopsies found cancer and I was operated by 25th January.  Because of Christmas and NewYear and so The MDT meeting to discuss my case was delayed  a little bit. Hope this helps, obviously hospitals do vary  I was initially seen by my local hospital but had my operation at Cambridge Addenbrookes  think this was because my cancer was early stage 1a, but high-grade.  You say yours is stage 1 which is good it's very early stage but do you know what GRADE?

Madesp 
  • Hi Squirrelee Iam so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. 

I too am newly diagnosed with Grade 3 serous which is believed to be stage 1 contained but was told it can't be staged properly until after my full hysterectomy and lymph node removal. 

I was told my operation would be in 4 to 6 weeks ( East midland area) and was called a few days ago with the 8th April date which will be exactly 4 weeks. I know that the waiting is the worst thing so try and stay positive if you can.

I only joined this lovely group a week ago but don't know what i would have done without it. The ladies are so generous with their time and support, listening to their experiences and advice has helped me no end.  

I have started batch cooking and freezing meals, going for lovely country walks, and getting my hospital bag ready. Anything really to keep

active so that I don't dwell too much on the waiting time, i keep thinking what was i doing 4 weeks ago and how quickly that time has flown

I hope you get your date soon, from what i have read it does seen to vary depending on what part of the country you are in.  xxx

• Hi Squirelee and Robin,

I was diagnosed Stage 1A and Grade 2 at the age of 72. I was petrified. The whole experience was far better than I imagined, and I recovered well from the operation. Fortunately I needed no other treatment, and was put on a patient led scheme where you don't have check ups, but ring if you have problems. I've seen nobody since my last check up which was after a year. I am now nearly 5 years clear. Hope this helps calm the nerves!!

I think Robins idea of keeping busy is the best idea. Good luck to you both. xxxx

• Hi NannyAnny Thats fantastic news that you are 5 years clear, and that the experience was better than you imagined it certainly helps to hear of good news stories like yours to help you stay focused and positive.

Its strange but since getting my operation date I feel so much calmer, so i can completely understand where squirelee is coming from. The best tip i picked up from the group is to try not to goggle too much. There is so much contradicting or out dated info out there. The only sites i look at now if i have to know something is this one, Cancer research or the NHS websites.  

Thanks again NannyAnny 

Robin xx

• Hi Squirrelee, welcome to the group! I had my first diagnosis mid November, MRI a week later results end November. Then pre op assessment mid December and laparoscopic hysterectomy on 22/1/22. This was a slightly longer wait than usual as my consultant was off having an op himself and I was transferred to another one. I then got my post op histology results on 4/2. I feel for you with the waiting as it makes things feel much more difficult. Like Madesp I’d be interested to know if you were told the grade as well as the stage. Have you also been put in touch with your CNS team?

• No they never said what grade it is only that it was a small amount whatever that means?

• Hi . I'd like to add my welcome to you to our spot in the Online Community.

It's a massive shock when you hear those unexpected words, we've all been there so we know exactly what you are feeling right now but you're not alone, we're all here to support you.

I'd no symptoms until I noticed a pink mucous like spotting on my undies. I wasn't going to do anything about it but my bestie nagged and nagged, the rest is history!

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• I have 2 cancer nurses and one of them is who called me with the results from mri. I think I may call one this week to put my mind at rest.