Just trying to get my head around it all

• 2 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with cancer about 3 weeks ago. 
im not sure this is the correct group but there doesn’t seem to be one that fits me! 
I had a hysterectomy and removal of ovaries and Fallopian tubes for endometriosis over12 years ago. 
After developing vaginal bleeding I was sent to a gynae consultant who following tests advised I had cancer of the vaginal vault.  It appears that the cancer of have is linked to my ovaries or Fallopian tubes. 
That in itself is a head game as I don’t have any. 
To cut a long story short I am due to start the first cycle of chemotherapy on the 17th December. 
im not scared of treatment although I am under no illusions that it is likely to be brutal. 
I am scare of it not working. I am scared of not seeing my children progress further into their adulthood. I am scared of not being able to do all the things me and my husband had planned. 
 Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received as I am just scared 

• Hi and a warm welcome to our little spot in the Online Community. We will go through this journey together. I had my hysterectomy and removal of fallopian tubes and ovaries last September (2020) . I was stage 1B/ grade 3 . Then had 3 sessions of Brachytherapy 6 weeks later. It was supposed to be a belt and braces approach to prevent recurrence.

However I started getting pains in my chest and various un-associated problems back in August. After X-rays, Echo's Bloods and finally a CT scan it's been found my cancer has returned with a mass in my abdomen and another just above where my ovaries used to be. Shock doesn't cover what I felt!

I'm starting chemo on 6th December. Got a good idea what to expect and in the scheme of things it's not how I fancy a few hours every 3rd week! Got my hairdresser coming to chop off my hair to short on Wednesday, prefer that to finding big chunks all over the house. Bought 4 turbans off Amazon. Colouring books, sudoku books and fan on order together with thermometer.

I'm also scared of it not working but had a long chat to my CNS yesterday and she says the treatment have an excellent record in killing off aggressive cancers. She described it as like the old computer game pac man with this thing scooting about all over and every time it opens it's mouth the chemo chucks something straight in there. LOL

My hubby's just been cleared of investigations for Bowel cancer and last Friday I took him in to hospital to have a hip replacement. That afternoon I heard my cancer had returned. Honestly I think what more can life throw at us but I'm determined and know we've got to be positive. He says I'm too calm but I've got to the point where I think there's no point in screaming and shouting just face it and get on with it!

Sending welcoming hugs, Barbxx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you Barb

It’s good to have someone to go through this journey with. Someone that understands how scary it is. I’m still working and am fortunate to be able to work from home. 

The team have told me I’m likely to loose my hair. 
    I will have a look at turban’s they have referred me for a wig. 
    My hair is long and I’m not brave enough to cut it yet. Although I would rather survive all this with no hair than the other option. 
    Most days I’m ok- other days it’s like being in the heart of a storm

I lost my mom in 2019 and although she didn’t die from cancer she was battling both breast and endometrial cancer at the time of her death. I lost my dad in February this year he had dementia. 

Barb I hope your husbands quality of life is much improved after his hip replacement. 

take care of you big hugs 

Jo xx