Next Steps

• 5 replies
  • 72 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Stage 3a Grade 1 cancer in April and had a Hysterectomy in May. I have now had 4 out of 6 rounds of chemo with radiotherapy to follow.  So glad I found this group as I have gone it alone so far. I have been really lucky with side effects mainly fatigue and excruciating pain in my fingers and toes plus all my hair has gone. As expected I am currently off sick from work but am now being constantly harassed by my employer as to when I will be returning to work as I seem to be coping so well. I know I have been extremely fortunate not to have suffered extreme side effects but they have been slightly worse this time. I have tried to explain to my boss days are unpredictable and a good day can suddenly become an uphill struggle but it is falling on deaf ears. My oncologist has advised me to concentrate on my treatment and recovery but the constant questions from my boss is beginning to wear me down.  Has anyone else had radiotherapy following chemo and can you offer any advice as to possible side effects etc so I can at least prepare. Thank you  

• Hello, I was exactly the same stage and grade as you and have had the same treatment. I have literally just finished radiotherapy on Tuesday this week. I like yourself didn’t do too badly with chemo, the worst was leg pains for me. With the radiotherapy they said to expect diarrhoea and bladder issues but I haven’t really suffered with any of that, the only thing I have is fatigue. I do get really tired and don’t have much energy. They said that it could last for upto 6 weeks after the radiotherapy has ended. Really pleased to be getting off the treadmill with all the treatments now. Wishing you all the best for the rest of your treatments. I hope they go smoothly xxx

• Hello Pliers, Your boss does not sound very understanding. I suggest you go to the Ask An Expert section of the site (see its title near the top of the page), and there you will find a section called Ask a Work Support Advisor. You could ask them for advice on what to say to your boss, and also what your rights are with regard to sick leave and adjustments in your workplace. Good luck with the rest of your treatment, I hope it all goes well. LR.

• Hi  I do get annoyed when I read how negative and unhelpful some employers can be! Someone's just gone through the most traumatic time in their lives and they basically ignore the facts. You do have rights so contact Ask a work support advisor as suggested or alternatively phone the Macmillan Support helpline, freephone number shown below.

Hope you can get something sorted out.

Sending hugs, Barb x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi all,

Thank you so much for your advice and support. I will definitely contact the Ask a work support advisor

It has been such a stressful time. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you. 

I will let you know how I get on.

Best wishes 

x

• How lovely you didn't suffer with bowel and bladder issues with the radiotherapy. I have that to face in the new year and am worried about it. You are the first person I have come across not to have had that. I hope that is continuing and you make good progress.