Not sure what to do

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 84 subscribers

Hi,

I have been reading through your posts which has been great to know that there are other people going through this, how they are coping and what your experiences have been, you are a truely amazing bunch of strong women.

I found out I had womb cancer in May grade 2 stage 1a, no symptons other than bleeding which everyone including the consultant I saw put it down to fibroids so it really did knock me for six, however I took it on the chin and just got on with it, all my family knows but I only selected a few friends to tell, the ones that would give me a kick if I needed it rather than pity me or let me wallow.

Had my womb, ovaries and cervix removed via a robot in July. I have been extremely lucky and I have recovered well with no issues other than being tired.

In my follow up I have been told that it had started to go into the blood vessels around the cancerous cells, I have LVS1(still quite unsure what this is or means as most information I can find relates to breast cancer don't know if it is the same for womb?)  and I am also being tested for Lynch Syndrome. Although they have taken all the cancer away that they could see, lymp nods were ok they are still offering me the choice of external radiotheraphy and as daft as it seems I just don't know what to do, I have been told I have a 14% chance of secondary cancer that seems low to me or is it high? Treatment takes it down to 3% but it comes with side effects both short and long term and as no ones how they will react and what long term effects you will have I'm not sure which to risk, I don't want long term effects to change my quality of life but equally I don't want the cancer to come back, I do realise I'm over thinking it all but I just can't make my mind up I keep changing it.

Sorry to have waffled on!

Hope you are all doing ok

X

• Hi and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. We might not be medically trained but we've now got a huge breadth of knowledge which we're happy to share and a bottomless pit of support to offer. We're all at the start, in the middle or at the end of this emotional journey.

LVSI Lymph-vascular space invasion means that some cancer cells have got into the lymph nodes so normally adjuvant treatments are recommended to prevent recurrence. I myself was stage 1b, grade 3 but no LVSI hence I was offered 3 sessions of high dose radiation internal radiotherapy. Some ladies here had a lesser stage and grade but had LVSI and had external radiotherapy as well as chemotherapy. 

As you say, everyone will react differently to treatments but chemotherapy has advanced greatly over the years with effective anti sickness pills the main side effect seems to be fatigue. I hope some of the ladies here come on and chat to reassure you. We're all terrified of IT coming back but don't want  more treatments to impact on our everyday life. 

Theoretically if you've not suffered bladder and bowels problems before you should be ok but not 100%. Since my Brachytherapy I've noticed a change in my bowel habits but not overly worrying.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett