Post menopausal bleed ? HRT related - a/w 2 week scan referral appointment

• 6 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi all, 

I wasn’t sure where to post so apologies if in the wrong place, I started HRT a couple of weeks ago and GP warned me I might get some “spotting “ as a possible side effect, I’ve not had any periods for three years, but for the last 3-4 days I’ve had my first bleed in 3 years, and it was more than just spotting, which concerned me a tad!  I phoned the GP this morning and she called straight back and advised me to stop the HRT and she’s referred me for a scan and to call in a couple of weeks if I’ve heard nothing , a bit nervous! 

• Hi and welcome to our little spot in the Online Community. Don't worry you've come to the right place. Any post menopausal bleed whether heavy or very light sets alarm bells ringing with GP's.

The first step towards diagnosis is an ultrasound which will reveal if the walls of the Womb are thickening. Our particular cancer is hormone (Oestrogen) fed and that's why she's told to to stop HRT. Ours is a very slow growing cancer so don't panic. We honestly do know how you're feeling at the moment, scared and numb but you're not alone, we're all here to support you. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Barb, and thank you for your kind words, trying not to think about what it could signify tbh, and seriously hoping that it’s something easily treatable, but thank you for the links, I will have a good read of everything, I’ll add some details to my profile, thanks again for your warm welcome xx 

• It’s so much easier once you know what you’re dealing with. Hope you get some answers soon

• Thanks xx I’ll be relieved when next week is  done with xx 

• thanks, it's getting nearer and I'm getting nervous!! It's tomorrow morning, going to try my best to distract myself today and try not to think about it too much!

• No news is good news? I’m hoping so, gynae oncology secretary said I’d only be called if I had to have more tests, (assuming the results were back, she said there’s a slight chance they might not be back yet), , and if I didn’t get a call today,  I’d get a first class letter, with the results and detailing the way forward, I’m hoping and praying that no news is indeed a good sign Fingers crossedFingers crossedFingers crossed!! It does mean more waiting, unfortunately but I’m hoping that as I didn’t get said phone call, it’s no bad thing!! Just wanted to say thanks again for your support ladies and keeping me sane xxx