Hi

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi all I joined the support forum because my doctor has referred me for gynaecologist appointment (tomorrow) with suspicion of cancer I assume uterine but I may be wrong 

I started menopause April 2019 no bleeding at all until after my smear which was June 2020. Then I had a bleed but put it down to being prodded about, and, smear came back as clear so I thought no more about it. I’ve had a couple of times where I’ve spotted on wiping but nothing that I’ve thought anything about. Then last month I had a 4 day heavy bleed which I again did nothing about initially thinking that menopause lasts years and it’s probably normal, but I mentioned it to a friend who said get it checked out. I got an  appointment with the gp who did an internal examination and said that she could see discharge that concerned her. I told her I was constantly tired have had a change in bowel habits and feel the need to wee constantly. I am also bloated have cramps and lower back ache she said they are signs that could indicate cancer which, has obviously put me in a spin for last two weeks. 
I gather that tomorrow the gynaecologist will do another internal examination which will include an ultrasound I’ve also heard that I’ll have a hysteroscopy? 
I can’t relax. 

Xx

• Hi KhC, in case you are not aware - if you find that you cannot tolerate the hysteroscopy, you can ask for it to be done under anaesthetic. I hope all goes well for you, and that they soon find out (and fix) the cause of your symptoms. LR.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LittleRunner

Thank you littlerunner Pray

• Hi and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. Your GP has probably put you on what's known as the two week wait cancer pathway. This is a scary time for you but we've all been there and will hold your hand every step of the way, don't worry, you're not alone in this. It was this exact day last year I met my Consultant. 

The normal procedures followed are Ultrasound - which may show a thickening of the womb. Then Hysteroscopy - a small camera inserted into the womb. As mentioned, this can be very painful and you can request it done under General Anaesthetic (mine was done under Epidural) Biopsies would be taken at the same time. More tests then done could be CT scan and MRI scan. Histology results then reveal if cancer is present and what stage & grade. 

If you've got any questions come back & we'll answer. There's always someone around to answer or offer  shoulder to cry on.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• BTW lovely pic of the beach!

Barb x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Thank you gif your message of support  Mrs BJH

I have just got home from my appointment the gynaecologist did an internal ultrasound and has taken a biopsy today he is hoping to have results back in 2/3 days xx 

• Come back and share your results if you want to, we'll be here to hopefully answer any questions you might have.

B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

thank you for your kindness xx

• Hi KhC

im also waiting for a scan, it seems that I’ve been referred via the 2 week pathway, I started HRT a couple of weeks ago , my periods stopped in 2018, although I put that down to stress related to losing my mum and moving house in the same year, but they never came back, I started to bleed last week, and assumed it was related to the HRT as GP warned me I might get some spotting but it was like an actual period and it concerned me so I phoned my GP today and she advised me to stop HRT and said she’s referring me for a scan and to call her if I hadn’t heard anything within 2 weeks, not sure if it will be a trans vaginal USS or hysteroscopy, like you I’ve been b tired lately and I’ve had slightly altered bowel habit and seeming to wee a lot more!!  but that’s about it, trying not to overthink things!! It’s hard isn’t it!! 

Kate xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to katyemz46

Hi katyemz46 bless you, it’s a really hard couple of weeks isn’t it, with mind running wild ! The actual appointment I found ok though and the vaginal ultrasound didn’t hurt at all, the biopsy was a little sore but didn’t take long so was ok my gynaecologist said he wouldn’t do hysteroscopy at a first appointment anyway. I hope that helps a little I know it’s really hard let me know how you get in please I will be thinking of you xxx

• Thanks and likewise hope everything goes well with you xx not sure what to tell my supervisor at work, I work on an ad hoc basis ( hospital bank shifts), I suppose I should warn them that I’m waiting for an urgent appointment, I know they’ll be discreet , but I’ve got shifts booked in and it might mean letting them down at short notice, when do you get your results? How long did the first appointment take? Sorry for all the questions!!