Hysteroscopy

• 2 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi everyone

I am just popping over from the breast group and the head & neck group as I wanted to share some info.

I have read many stories on here and heard many tales in person about painful hysteroscoscopies.

I also think the tactics from some hospitals are a bit unfair as women seem to find themselves having a hysteroscopy when they weren’t expecting it.

Also, the leaflets given out by hospitals seem to really underplay the hysteroscopy and the pain it can cause.

Some women seem to be able to have the procedure with no issues whereas for some it is unbearable , traumatic and causes severe stress, with some going into shock and needing therapy.

Anyway……I needed one and did some research. It actually states on the NHS website that you can request a general anaesthetic.

I attended my initial appointment and when I walked into the room I saw the whole room was set up to perform the hysteroscopy even though I hadn’t been told I would be having this procedure.

I explained my concerns and requested a general anaesthetic. There was no problem with my request and I was booked for theatre 2 weeks later.

I had the procedure yesterday with no issues at all. The anaesthetist was amazing and also stated the procedure can be offered with an epidural if that is preferred.

So the point of my post is to get the message over, please don’t be pressured to have a hysteroscopy and ask for a general anaesthetic or epidural if you want one.

I hope this is helpful to some.

Much Love to all

Sharon 

• Hi Sharon. Thanks for popping over and sharing your story. You're quite right some ladies have had a hysteroscopy with no problem, with others it's a totally different story.

I was initially told to take a couple of paracetamol an hour before my procedure. The nurse couldn't even insert the virginal speculum without me suffering pain (I had a stenosed cervix) so she immediately referred me to have it done under general anaesthetic which I was booked in for a couple of weeks time. The anaesthetist wanted to offer me an epidural which I was dead against but eventually she persuaded me. It was in the midst of lockdown and she explained the theatre took more time to be prepped for another op after full general.

So ladies, Sharon is right you do have the choice so don't be pressured into having a hysteroscopy without a general, especially those who have a low pain threshold. I myself haven't had children and some ladies here have said it's no worse than childbirth - just quicker!

Hugs, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    1. Hi Sharon. I had the procedure. It was barbaric. The person stopped when he realised the pain I was going through.  I was then referred to have a GA. This was a very good experience.