Diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi

Hoping someone can offer some advice!

I've had some abnormal bleeding, am 52 on hrt.

Was referred on a 2 week wait and have been to hospital twice this week.  I met the consultant on Tuesday and he attempted a hysteroscopy.  I had an endometrial ablation around 6 years ago and have too much scar tissue to do this.

I have since had an ultrasound.

Is the ultrasound enough to diagnose cancer or will a further test be needed?  

How long does it usually take for the results?

Many thanks

• Hi Hortyh,

Sorry you find yourself here. I can't answer all your questions, but will try to help you. I don't know anything about HRT as I refused to have it, so don't know if that might make you bleed. Someone else might know. I have read of ladies having a general anaesthetic to have a hysteroscopy, so that may be an option for you. I'm not sure an ultrasound would give them a full picture. I had one before the hysteroscopy, and she only saw a fibroid which they don't worry about after the menopause. They then did the hysteroscopy, and he couldn't see anything untoward. He could see a lot of fluid, and decided to do a biopsy, which showed I had cancer. I can't remember how long the results took but am guessing it was 2 or 3 weeks. They called me early as they had a free slot, but as I was having my pre med it was cancelled as they had an emergency!! I had the operation a couple of weeks later and needed no more treatment. I was Stage 1A grade 2. This was 4 years ago now. I can honestly say that Covid has interrupted my life the last two years more than having cancer did.  xx

• Hi and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. In answer to your question and Ultrasound isn't normally enough to diagnose cancer, it usually shows a thickening of the womb. My 1st hysteroscopy was unsuccessful as I had a stenosed cervix so mine was done a couple of weeks later together with a biopsy under an Epidural. In between I had a CT scan. After the hysteroscopy I had a MRI scan. In the meantime the histology results of the biopsy came back about 2 weeks later and a diagnosis of Stage 1a, grade 1 Endometrial cancer was made. You could've knocked me down with a feather. The only symptom of anything wrong was a very light pink spotting on my undies over a couple of days. I was long past the menopause.

You've joined the right forum to get lots of support from a lovely group of ladies. We've all been where you are now, slight numb and pretty scared.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Hi. Thanks for the info.

I did wonder how they could biopsy my womb lining if they can't get passed to scar tissue that's there.

From what the consultant told me its common in ladies who have had an ablation, as the womb is just full of scars!

Will see what I hear next.  It's all been very speedy so far!

• Hi , I'm sure they'll manage it somehow. 

Come back and let us know how things go, Bxx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Hi

I've just had my results and am thrilled to say I'm fine.

Thank you for your support.

I wish you all well, with your future health.

• Hi  That's brilliant news, I'm so pleased for you!

Best of luck for the future, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum