Diagnosis last Friday and am very afaid!

• 11 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi. I was diagnosed on Friday with Grade 1 womb cancer and stage 1 a or b. I'm to have a MRI shortly, will that puck up if stage a or b? If a then I will have keyhole surgery. I'm feeling so scared even though I was told it's early and treatable. I'm trying hard to relax and stay positive though! Thank you for reading and any support will be so helpful.x

• Hi and a warm welcome to our little spot in the Online Community. The place none of us expected to be.  Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

The MRI might not pick up if you're stage 1a or 1b. It's normally after the hysterectomy the histology report show what stage you are. I think you'll probably have keyhole surgery from which recovery is much quicker.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you and you're not alone in this.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you for your very warm welcome!  X

• Yes I also got this. I am wondering how old you are as this makes a huge difference I imagine. I am 62 never had children and I have it. I i not expect to go forever..but its a bit of a shock that i am vulnerable more than i thought though I also had a stent fitted to my heart before. I am getting sewn up here and there it seems. I think we are so lucky to be born in a time when they can operate and save our lives and we have both been caught early at stage 1 this is very good news. I will say that I wake up in the morning with a churning low stomach but I breath in blue pink or green for 5 and I breath out the grey for 7  a nice long out breath belly breath so I can feel my hand move on my tummy and then I feel alot better and try to get on with the day what is there to enjoy and celebrate in the present moment. Well cone for relaxing and staying positive It sounds like ot is contained in your womb so lets believe the drs for now. If I can help with any other things let me know. I find it hard at this time to wait to hear when the operation is but I am expecting beginning of September I would imagine you will be a couple of weeks after me. This is okay and also we are at least not in the heat of covid pandemic when so many people waited waited and waited. I was not sure if full hysterectomy but decided to do that because it is all key hole and also because the chances of return are high if you keep the ovaries. Not sure about cervix if you learn about those stats let me know. It is scarey and makes everything else quite hard to deal with I recently had a funeral and have had to cut back on work a bit. 

• Hi and welcome to the Online Community. I was 67 when I was diagnosed, like you I've not had children. I sailed through the menopause trouble free. I was some years post menopause when I noticed some pink spotting on my undies. I wasn't going to bother my GP as it only happened on a couple of days. My bestie nagged me & after tests, scans etc. I was diagnosed with cancer, the first person in my "biological" family so it was a massive shock!

However you're absolutely right, keyhole surgery and Brachytherapy (High dose radiation) were the things in Star Trek! I've had both and just had my 3rd three monthly check-up - all clear.

I had a fully hysterectomy and because of my age, I assume, I had fallopian tubes, ovaries and cervix removed.

t’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Hted, 

a week ago I had keyhole surgery for grade 2 womb cancer, with everything taken away. I have been feeling great, just the blood thinning injections not so much fun and leaves bruising on me.

I have today received a letter for an outpatient appointment in two weeks and it says I can take someone with me, so a bit worried about that or maybe that’s routine for a follow up. The consultant said it was early stage cancer but as you know, we will worry until we know.

This forum is brilliant and has helped me immensely, especially what to take into hospital with you.

Hope you get the op soon, mine was quick from diagnosis to op, and ask as many questions as you need to. Also contact your gynae oncology nurse if you need to, who again I have found to be brilliant.

sending hugs x

• Hi and thanks for your reply. I wont know until next Tuesday about my op and what it will entail  as thats when the mdt meet. The waiting is excruciating!

I'm pleased you are on the Mend, were you in just the one night? I hope I can have keyhole surgery but I guess it depends on what's what!  My mri showed something on the cervix, and though I'm grade 1 that makes it stage 2 now. I really just want it over now. Hopefully no more unpleasant news for either of us.

I keep reminding myself how fortune are to have such expertise in our wonderful nhs. Try and stay positive,  I'm trying with the odd wobble now and then.

Take care and God bless.x

• I was only in for one night, and a lady who had the same thing done was meant to have keyhole but was changed to open surgery, was also only in for one night, so it really depends on how you are after.

I know how you feel about just wanting it out, I was the same, and so relieved it has been done. 

Keep trying to be positive when you can, but remember we all have a wobble, it is to be expected.

Take care xx

• Hi Hted,

It's an anxious time when waiting to hear about the op and then going for it too but I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I was able to stop my painkillers.  It only took 2 weeks for them to be stopped after I had a vaginal hysterectomy I got my womb and cervix removed.

I saw the Consultant last week and I just have to contact "my" nurse if I have any further concerns who will then contact the Consultant for me.  I tell you all this in the hope it will reassure you at this time.  I am grade 1 and stage 1a - they told me this after my surgery which was a relief.

Anyway wish you well and will hear how you get on xx

• Hi. Thank you for your reply. It does help to read some positive experiences. I have googled much more than is good for me!!

I hope I will be able to have keyhole surgery, though I don't know what the criteria is?

I should hear about my pre assessment on Tuesday and hope I'll then be given a date.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Regards.x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

im 11weeks post op for same diagnosis and I’m good. A few twinges here and there still if i over do it but healing was quick and not too troublesome. I have on going issues with my vowel that decided not to work after being prodded and poked but regular use  of moveacol and senna keep  me going. Just a tip if you have the same usurped. My follow up was all clear and cancer removed. I’m sure you’ll be the same. Just rest up as long as you can. I know it difficult to not be tempted to do things and you will get frustrated but it’s worth the healing process in the long run. 
    good luck with your op and recovery 

sending you prayers and best wishes.. it’s scary as hell but it’ll soon be gone xx 

much love  Machaela