Newly diagnosed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Good morning

I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometrial cancer on May 24th, i had 3 biopsies taken during the hysteroscopy and an MRI of abdomen and pelvis. I was told it doesn't appear to have spread outside of the womb. I have my total hysterectomy on Monday 19th July and they will do a metal washout plus take biopsies of the amentum to check for any stray cancer cells.

I have been quite calm up till now, i've been more focused on trying to be 'strong' for my family (hubby, children and grandchildren) and trying to spare their feelings about the whole cancer diagnosis. But as Monday draws closer i'm feeling more jittery, it's not helping that the only pain relief i will be able to have is paracetamol and i have some people saying 'ooooo you'll never cope with the pain of abdominal surgery (no keyhole surgery) with just paracetamol'. I am concerned how i will cope with any menopausal symptoms i may have as i have been told no HRT for me as my cancer is oestrogen feeding. 

I'm finding myself worrying about silly little things like after the op am i going to be able to put my socks on when i'm discharged, will i be able to put my undies on without help, how far forward will i be able to bend without bursting my stiches etc I've been told that my hospital stay will be around 3 days but i won't have visitors due to the pandemic so i can't ask hubby to help me out!

Any advice would be gratefully receivedRelaxed

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

It's so hard to appear calm to those around you when inside you are screaming - when you want to do that come on here and vent - we've all done it.

After my op I was prescribed ibuprofen, paracetamol, morphine sulphate and even had a bottle of liquid morphine should it'd been needed so I don't think they'll send you home with just a pack of paracetamol, don't worry! I had keyhole surgery so was able to cope quite well but hubby had to help with TEDS stockings. I used a litterpicker stick to help putting undies on.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Hi MrsBJH

Thank you for the reply.

I did write a little on my profile Blush I can't take brufen or codeine or tramadol medications due to other health conditions which is why I said about paracetamol.

I'm having my pre op covid test in the morning and then my first tinzaparin jab on Sunday morning ready for my op on Monday. My surgery is the abdo cut like a cesarean section. 

• Hi Celticspirit, 

I had my vaginal hysterectomy  7 weeks ago and am having my first post op appointment on Tuesday.  On the build up to my op I was petrified so much so that the consultant gave me a Diazapan tablet before I was taken which helped greatly.  The staff on the waRd will be able to help you and were great at giving tips on how to manage.  I was totally surprised how I managed and I saw a another patient who had the surgery the same as your having and she was managing well the second day after surgery.  

I sincerely wish you well and look forward to hearing how you get on in your journey.

Take Care for now xx

• Hi Celticspirit, I think I had only paracetamol after surgery.  Now, admittedly I had keyhole surgery and not a big incision, but the pain afterwards was not as bad as I expected. They sent me home with a box of something stronger, codeine I think, but I didn't use it. I did feel pretty battered but it was a bruised kind of sensation rather than a sharp "ow" one. My surgery was late morning and I emerged with a catheter which stayed in until the next morning, which meant I did not have to get out of bed or deal with clothes for a wee overnight. And it didn't hurt when the nurse took the catheter out. With regard to socks etc... I was given a little slippery nylon sock to help me get my anti-DVT stockings on. The anti-DVT ones had a hole at the toe, so I had to put the little slippy sock on my foot, pull the tight knee-high anti-DVT stocking over it, then whip the little slippy one out of the toe-hole of the anti-DVT one.  You can achieve the same effect with a little plastic bag. Maybe do this sitting somewhere with a footstool handy. Saves an amount of struggling! I was ok with getting dressed. A friend advised me to buy a packet of paper knickers in case I struggled to get them off again but they were never needed. Why don't you have a practice run at home before you go into hospital, just try ways of getting knickers and socks on and off with minimal bending or twisting. Sit on the bed? Reassure yourself that you will manage ok. I also read lots of scary stuff online about how it would be post-op, but I was not as incapacitated as I expected.  I am slender which was good in most ways for moving around post-op, but the downside was I think people had higher expectations of me!  It was ages before I could lie on my side or front and ages before I could wear tight or fitted clothes, but I would say that was due to discomfort rather than pain.  I hope our forum ladies here who had the same op as you are having will be along soon to give you some tips too.  Lots of luck Celticspirit, remember now, the sooner it's here the sooner it's over.

• PS I was so scared before my operation that I really wanted to jump off the trolley and run away but next thing I knew I was having the anaesthetic and then suddenly I was waking up again after the op, still felt like my usual self (although aching) and hooray the operation was over.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lolak

Hi Lolak

Thank you for your reply. I am so glad you are recovering well, that's amazing Grin I feel hopeful for my surgery tomorrow but still a little nervous.

Stay safe and hugs to you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LittleRunner

Hi LittleRunner

Thank you for replying Blush

Reading how well you are doing helps give me hope, I'm a larger lady and I have other health issues arthritis being one of them so bending is normally an issue for me where socks are concerned. But I'm sure I will find a way lol.

My operation is tomorrow morning, I don't know what time slot but I have to be at the ward by 6.30am.

Take care and stay safe x

• Hi Celticspirit 

Best wishes for tomorrow,  it will be so good to get it over with xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lolak

Thank you Lolak I appreciate your kind words xx

• Hi by the time you get to read this it'll all be over and you'll probably be wondering why you were so worried - that's what a lot of us said! 

Come back and tell us how you feel when you're up to it.

Sending cotton-wool hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett