Womb cancer

• 7 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Hi all

I went yesterday to see the gynaecologist and im going for my pre op on monday, then i have to isolate till going in on thursday for my operation.

I know its a stupid question but how do i get to the hospital if i have to isolate? Im going to be in for  3 days as they are going to do abdominal surgery, i can drive there but obviously cant drive home. 

• Could you not get a taxi? Wear a mask if you can it’s fine to make your way to appointments in the hospital good luck for next week xxxx

• Thankyou,

i can my son to take me, but i was told i would have to drive there alone and get somebody to pick my car up, 

• Hi . I'm confused by this! Thinking about it I think the Hospital wants you to come back from your pre-op and isolate until you go for your op on Thursday. You can pick up Covid testing kits from most pharmacies (which contain 7 test kits) so why not get one, do a test when you get back from your pre-op, get your son to drive you there and do another test when you arrive. Seems very complicated though!

I had to have my hysteroscopy under GA at a Covid free hospital which was 60 miles away. I had to be there at 7am so left home at 5.30 and parked my car there. My bestie had to pick up my hubby and drive to the hospital in order for him to bring me back. What a palaver!

If might be an idea to contact the hospital to ask if they can arrange transport for you. I had my op right in the middle of lockdown and I was just asked how I'd arrived there - I wasn't given a Covid test before my pre-admission, they just got on with it!

Hugs, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Ladnad

So your son could drive you but mustn't and so  " i would have to DRIVE there alone and get somebody to pick my car up"   - that doesn't' make sense because it would mean that only car drivers could have operations !   It must be wrong.  I can understand being advised not to use public transport but barring lifts or taxis, surely not. 

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

When I had mine last month I had a pcr test at the hospital then drove straight home and isolated. On the morning of the operation I got a black cab and remained masked throughout the journey and up to the surgical admissions unit.

• I am having my hysterectomy on the 29th June and went for my pre op on Wednesday. I have to isolate for 14 days! I also have to go for a covid test this Friday. I do have a cough and my GP sent me for a covid test last Saturday which was negative.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Deborino

Your cough might be from the very high pollen levels at the moment. Try honey and lemon in some warm water to drink and a blob of vaseline at the bottom of your nostrils. And keep testing if you have lateral flow tests just in case. The honey and lemon will be useful after the op anyway. My throat was very raspy for about a week afterwards.