Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Im new here and need help.

Last Monday i was diagnosed with womb cancer 

Ive had an M R I  scan and on Tuesday next week see anesthesit and i think my pre opp for hysterectomy.  Im worried about scan results. I live alone and feel out of my depth with all this. Any help would help thank you 

• Hi ruthiebabe, sorry you have had this diagnosis. Waiting for results is hard.

I live alone too and I had diagnosis and hysterectomy in 2017 aged 56. I am well again now. I had my womb, cervix, fallopian tubes and ovaries removed by keyhole surgery. Make a note of questions you have for the pre-op appointment and for the various medics and nurses you will see. Ask them to explain what surgery you will have, as there are various different operations. Ask for a list of do-and-don't for after your hysterectomy. e.g. how long until you can lift heavy things, drive, return to work, etc. I used to take a notebook and pencil to appointments to write down what they told me. DO tell them that you live alone, in case there is help available for you.

Get in touch with MacMillan too and ask if they have any help local to you, support groups or volunteers.

I was in hospital for about 36 hours. I am sure others will be along soon to advise you on what to take with you to hospital. Other ladies are more up-to-date than me as I can't remember all the details from 2017 now. A friend came to take me home by car and she stayed overnight in case I was poorly. I was ok, but it was reassuring to have someone there.

I had to take it easy for a few weeks after the op. The main principle was not to lift anything heavy. This affected cleaning, shopping, cooking, laundry. I did a big clean before I went into hospital and stocked up with food. Friends came to stay at various times and helped me with housework, and I arranged a home help for a few hours a week for about 8 weeks. Her main help was to carry my shopping, empty the bin, hoover, clean the bathtub, change the duvet cover. I was very very tired and weak after the operation and that went on for ages, despite me being a sportswoman, so be prepared for some days where you just can't manage to do much at all. But that doesn't go on for ever and I didn't really need the home help for the whole of the time I booked her.

It is a scary time when you are hit with loads of information but don't be afraid to ask the medics about anything you don't understand. There are loads of us on here who have had various experiences and will be able to give you some answers too. Good luck.

• Hi Ruthie babe, welcome to the forum. You may live alone, but now you’ve joined this forum you’re not alone, as we all understand how you are feeling. You’ve had your diagnosis, and things then start moving very quickly. If you are lucky you will have keyhole surgery. It’s a much quicker recovery time. My consultant gave me a little time chart for recovery and it suggested 12 weeks until you feel back to normal, he said you can double that if you have to have open surgery. I took things very easy for the first week, but after that I started to go for little walks, trying to get about 10 yards further every day, I wasn’t alone tho, I would suggest you don’t go alone the first couple of times.

You might find this leaflet helpful, Understanding womb cancer  https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/stories-and-media/booklets/understanding-womb-endometrial-cancer ( hope that link works!)

I was in hospital for two nights. Whilst I was in the op theatre they put a catheter in for the first night. I had been really worried about this beforehand, but actually didn’t realise it was there! I guess still woozy and sleepy from anaesthetic when I got back to the ward, but the next morning they removed it and it was no problem at all. I also only had paracetamol for pain relief, which I no longer needed after just a few days.  When you have keyhole surgery they pump a lot of air into you, and this can cause a bit of pain like trapped wind or heartburn. So apparently peppermint tea is good for this - take some with you. In fact the ladies on here have compiled a list of useful things to take to hospital - you will need a Pickford removals lorry if you take everything suggested! You can use the search facility to find it on this forum. When I was sent home I had to give myself anti clotting injections once a day for four weeks and wear anti clotting socks for that time too - my consultant is a cautious man!

My op was end of August last year, it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I’m lucky that I recovered very quickly .Depends on your own personal circumstances and levels of fitness and Heath. But I am now back to normal. . Because of Covid restrictions I had to do it all on my own, as no visitors allowed in hospital at that time ( the same for a lot of ladies here).

Wishing you the best of luck and if you have any questions just ask, someone is usually around to offer advice and support,

Viv x

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride of emotions.You might live alone but you're certainly not alone now, we know exactly how you feel right now as we've all been in the same total state of shock. We're all here for you and will help in any way we can. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett