Hello

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi. I am 45, and a mum to two preteen boys.

I was a member of the group a couple of years ago when it was found I had thickened endometrium, but not cancer.  I was given a Mirena coil at that point to boost my progesterone, and to protect me against developing cancer.  Unfortunately this had to be removed after 6 weeks since I was getting headaches and my doctor was afraid I was at risk of a stroke.  Having seen a gynaecologist I was put on a waiting list for a vaginal hysterectomy in January 2020. Then Covid happened and the operation didn’t take place- I have been on the waiting list ever since.

I started to bleed on 6th April, which I thought would be a normal period. But the bleeding became heavier and heavier until I finally gave in and called 111 in mid April.  They sent an ambulance and I was taken to A&E in the middle of the night.  I needed two units of blood, and was admitted to hospital for two days.  The consultant who was on duty told me the bleed had been caused by my INR being too high (as I am on warfarin) and that I needed an endometrial ablation, which he would book as soon as possible. I kept on asking if he was sure there was nothing else happening as he didn’t scan or anything, but he was adamant that this is what should happen. 

When my ablation appointment arrived I was still really worried, so I phoned to speak to the consultant who was due to carry out the ablation.  Thank goodness she was brilliant  and listened to my concerns, and agreed she would carry out a hysterosccopy first.  

I opted to have a general anaesthetic for the procedure. However, when I arrived in the Day Case unit, no one had booked me to have a covid test in advance, so I was told I could either go back home, or have the hysteroscopy under local anaesthetic instead. I was bleeding so badly still I agreed to the the second option, which actually turned out to be a lot less traumatic than I thought it would be. The doctor took a number of biopsies.  Following the procedure, she also gave me an injection of Decapeptyl to shut down my ovaries and my menstrual cycle and to bring in a temporary menopause, in case this was adding to my bleed.

I went home, but continued to flood blood, and last Friday was readmitted to hospital for a further blood transfusion. I have also had a balloon inserted into my uterus to try to apply pressure to stop the bleeding, until the pathology results are back and the doctors decide what surgery will be appropriate for me.  In the meantime, having had 6 days in hospital, I have been allowed home with the balloon still inside me, and the tubes from the balloon still trailing out.

The doctor who carried out the hysteroscopy has told me that she can’t say for sure what is happening to me until the pathology results are back, but that, in her experience, it looks like I have cancer. My trans vaginal ultra sound also shows an enlarged left ovary. I am also under investigation by the hepatobiliary pancreatic team as I have dilated pancreatic and extra hepatic ducts.

I am feeling really sore and uncomfortable from the balloon (which at times is causing terrible period-like cramping) I am still bleeding quite heavily despite the internal pressure.  I know that even if my results come back as being benign  I am going to need to have a hysterectomy as this bleeding won’t stop.  Also, because of pre existing health conditions, I know this will need to be open/abdominal surgery. Basically they need the histopathology report to know whether they need to remove any further structures like lymph nodes.  From my perspective however, having sat in hospital for for the past 6 days, I am even more scared than I already was, as I have now seen how people look when they have had similar surgeries...

While I was in hospital the doctors were chasing my results through histopathology, but they were told the result will take 10 working days- which won’t be up until Thursday next week. The wait is incredibly difficult at times, and at other times I hope it takes as long as possible so I don’t have to face it.  

I am trying to keep positive but I have moments of being in pieces, and I don’t know how much of this is exhaustion, how much is natural worry, and how much of it is the result of my hormones being all over the place from the Decapeptyl starting to bring on menopausal effects.

Sorry this isn’t a cheerier introduction!

• Hi  and welcome back to our little corner of the Online Community. I'm so sorry to read what you have been going through and the uncertainty and constant waiting is so debilitating. Here on this forum you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies. Some of our journeys here have been easier than yours but any possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username. You could just copy and paste this, your first post.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx  

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Nad,

I am so, so sorry for all the pain and trauma you have been through.

The wait for results really is a difficult one.  I had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer two weeks ago and expect to hear from my consultant today after MDT meeting. Originally I was Grade 1a but as they encountered adhesion between uterus and bladder which made the op much longer and more difficult, I wouldn't be surprised if it is upgraded.

However, there is nothing we can do to change results and I am prepared for whatever, and you must be as well.  Exhaustion plays a huge part.  Be kind to yourself and be as positive as you can be. Lots of love. Sharon

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Shaz2966

Hi Shaz,

I was just wondering how things went with your consultant today after the MDT meeting?  Do you have any further news?  I am keeping everything crossed for you.

Many thanks for your reply.

All best wishes

Nad

• Hi Nad, 

That's really kind. I didn't hear so maybe it wasn't two weeks for the results - I thought it was. I put in a call to my CNS so perhaps she can tell me on Monday if I will hear next Friday.  TBH I have become a bit immune to it.  What will be, will be. 

Don't dwell on the ladies you saw in hospital - yes, the abdominal surgery hysterectomy is harder than the keyhole, but if you have to have it, then you have to. The second day is the worst. It's much better when you are home in your own bed.  Do you have hubbie or mum to help you when you're out?  Did you have a c-section with either/both of the boys? If so, just ask the surgeon what that might mean for you.

So you will have more info on Thursday - let me know if you can.

In any case, as you say, you will have a hysterectomy so make preparations for when you come home.  I would say pre-teen boys will be absolutely brilliant nurses for mum.

If I hadn't had the bladder problem (easing off now), once home I would say it is a gentle upward curve.  I am only two and a half weeks and I am walking the dog, driving the car and working from home (typing) - all in moderation with plenty of rests/naps in between.  I love a nap!

Take care. Lots of love, Sharon x

• FormerMember

Hi Sharon,

I just wanted to wish you well with this week, both with your ongoing recovery and also with any news from the hospital. Am I right in thinking you are waiting to find out whether you will need radiotherapy or chemotherapy? This must be a really difficult time, and I am keeping everything crossed for you.  I hope that you are recovering more every day.

Thank you for your encouragement about having a hysterectomy.  I should find out this week the outcome of the biopsies and what they plan to do next- at times I am worried, but today I aim to get on with some work and to try to not think about it too much.

Do keep in touch, and take care.

Best wishes,

Nad

• Hi Nad,

Finally going to get my results from the histology from hysterectomy three weeks ago. Meeting my consultant tomorrow in Outpatients. Wouldn't tell me over the phone.  Hope that's not a bad omen. Fingers crossed. :)

• FormerMember

Hi Sharon,

I wish you all the luck in the world for today.  Hopefully the reason your consultant wants to see you face to face is because he or she feels you should have that level of care after everything you have been through with your surgery.  I will be thinking of you and sending you all the positives I can. Do let me know the outcome of your appointment when you are ready.

I was called in to see my consultant on Tuesday.  The news was good and bad. The bad news was that it was confirmed that I had cellular changes in my endometrium, but the “good” news is that having a total hysterectomy plus Fallopian tubes should be the end to the problem. I am booked in for surgery on 26th May.  As I noted above, unfortunately this has to be open/abdominal surgery because of the size of my uterus, and due to my risk of bleeding (I have a blood disorder).  I am awaiting the letter from the hospital giving me details about coming into hospital and about the pre operative assessment.  For the first couple of days I didn’t feel very much about it but I am decidedly more scared now.

Do take care today.

All best wishes,

Nad

• Hi Nad, 

Thanks for good wishes. Try not to worry.  I am here, three weeks later, and as far as the actual surgery, it is all past now.  It just takes time. Remember to take some ear plugs with you.  Wards are noisy places and you need all the sleep you can get. (I buy Quies online and they are the BEST). I'll let you know what my consultant tells me later this morning.  

Sharon x

• FormerMember

Good luck- thinking of you

Nad