Hiccup in surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi, 

I’m really new to this but feel there is such an amazing wealth of knowledge on here. 

my mum was diagnosed with grade 1 endometrial cancer. None aggressive. Full hysterectomy would have done the trick, it was all going to plan, but as they were lifting the womb out, some scar tissue from a csection tore a hole in the womb. The surgeon cleaned and flushed it out. He’s 99% sure he got it all. But oncology have now upgraded it to 3a because technically it’s now not contained within the womb even though it had never got to the ovaries/tubes/cervix etc. 

mum is yet to meet oncology, but I think they are thinking chemo and radiation. Mums not keen to have that for something that she may not actually have. Has anyone experienced anything similar? We’re still feeling quite positive because as the surgeon said, it’s still a none aggressive grade 1 cancer. He seems confident he got it all too. 

• Hi . I’m sorry that you had to find yourself here but like to offer you and your Mum a warm welcome to our little corner of the Online Community to the Womb cancer group. Here you will find a lovely group of supportive ladies who are all at the start, in the middle, or at the end of the  same rollercoaster ride so it’s good to hear that your Mum's operation has taken place but there was a little mishap due to the scar tissue from a C-Section. Hopefully your Mum's making good progress and healing well.

Once the report from Histology has been received the Oncology team will meet to discuss if adjuvant treatment is necessary .It seems quite often unless it's clearly Stage 1a grade 1, (low grade totally confined to the womb) there's always the chance they'll offer further treatment as an insurance to prevent recurrence. Perhaps some other ladies here have had the same experience

A cancer diagnosis will bring many questions, lots of confusion and stress but I found being able to talk with other people who are on the same type of journey helped me a lot. The ladies in this group are all hugely supportive so ask away, hopefully we’ll be able to answer your questions or just send a virtual hug.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your Mum's journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Hi MrsBJH,

thank you for the reply. I think from what we have been told the results would have been stage 1 grade 1. The surgeon said had the mishap not have happened then it would have been sew mum up and see her for her checkups and done and dusted. However, because of this, they seem to have upgraded it as now it’s not contained within the womb (potentially). Because they know   know the ovaries, cervix, tubes are clear. Such a frustrating situation when it would have been cured with surgery alone 

• Hi Lise, 

I had something similar, 13 days ago.  Started with keyhole, then had to switch to open surgery as my C-section scar had caused uterus and bladder to fuse together. 30 minutes for first 3/4 of surgery, then 1.5 hours for this part while they painstakingly separated the two. I am also suspecting they may upgrade the Grading above 1a because of the possibility of cancer cells having passed to bladder.  I don't get my histology results until this Friday at the earliest.

I am also not keen on chemo or anything else.  I have not handled this surgery particularly well.  Living alone I can't imagine living with chemo fallout on a regular basis.  I will have to weigh it up when I get the histology but have it in mind that I would rather have less time living well than slightly longer living poorly.  I think it is everyone's right to accept further treatment or to kindly reject it.  We only have ourselves to live with, even though we have loved ones (my daughter 25 yrs).

Sharon xx

• Hi Lise33, my situation is similar to your mum’s. I was Grade 1 stage 3A, upgraded to that after surgery due to the possibility of microscopic cancer cells being left behind in the pelvic area even though none were visible. I was offered chemotherapy only. Due to there being no progression toward the cervix, radiation was not considered necessary. At least that is my understanding. Like your mum, I also had no involvement of Fallopian tubes or ovaries, and my lymph nodes were clear.

My oncologist said there is a 65-70% chance I am cured by the surgery alone and that 6 rounds of chemo would improve that by 7-9%. I did a lot of research about chemo and decided to decline. I don’t feel that the statistics are good enough and I don’t want to have such a drastic treatment when I don’t even know if it is necessary. All the medical people have been very respectful and understanding of my decision and I am now being monitored with CT scans and examinations. I am following a lot of Integrative Oncology protocols instead - diet, supplements, fasting etc - to hopefully minimize the risk of recurrence.

It’s a tough decision and everyone has to make their own. I struggled with it for a while, but I’m now very happy with the route I chose for myself. I think that’s the most important thing. And I was impressed with how friends, family and medics didn’t try to influence me either way. The only pressure was time - the chemo needs to be done ASAP after surgery for maximum effectiveness I believe. 

Yes, it’s disappointing and frustrating to discover that surgery is not a 100% cure, especially when it so easily might have been and it so often is. I wish your mum all the best with the decision if she is still wavering. And to you too as you travel with her. xxx

JWO Green heart

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to JWO

Hello JWO, 

thank you for your reply and sorry to hear you have been through an anxious time too. Yes, I feel mum is thinking along the same lines as you. The more we speak to friends of the medical field, and the more research she does, she feels she wants to avoid chemo if possible and radiation too. Like you, she has already started on diet changes, and researching herbs etc that can help her body be an environment that cancer does not do well in! It is frustrating it can’t all be solved by surgery alone when it could have been, but her surgeon is confident so I think we have to trust that. 

Thank you for your reply and take care 

X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Shaz2966

Hi Sharon, 

thank you for your reply. What a stress it all is! And so horrible for you if you are on your own at home. 

Sounds like a traumatic surgery that you had. My mum isn’t keen on chemo either and has been researching diets and how her way of life has to change, ie. less stress/diet.

I hope you soon find some answers on the histology front and can move forward.

take care

xx