Hi everyone

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with grade 1 in January and had a full keyhole hysterectomy just over 6 weeks ago which confirmed the cancer was stage 1A. The consultant told me after the haematology results that I didn't need any further treatment. I have been recovering really well and was surprised how 'easy' the surgery was. However, I think I underestimated the psychological effects. I live on my own  after separating a year go, although my son (with some special needs) lives here some of the time and my ex husband visits often as we have a good relationship. My mind just goes into overdrive with every little twinge or feeling that things aren't quite right. I have almost completed 6 weeks of counselling through work and she has been good but at times I feel that she tells me off for being worried. I am working really hard at trying to control my worrying and if was able to just not worry, then I would!

The main thing that has been worrying me is that I have had small amounts of bleeding - this just appears as pink on the loo roll after wiping and usually only in the morning. I thought this thing was supposed to have stopped by six weeks but I'm getting this every few days at the moment and it started last week. I've spoken to the GP and the nurse at the hospital. They both say to keep an eye on it but that they are not overly concerned. It is possible that I have done too much physically as I have felt so physically well. I keep thinking the cancer may have come back even though logic tells me this is unlikely. Did anyone else have anything like this at this stage?

I am so fed up of feeling afraid and I know others on this forum are putting up with so much worse but any advice or support would be appreciated. Thank you 

• Hi Phoenix66 and a warm welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

Good to hear you've had your op and your cancer was confirmed as grade 1A needing no further treatment. That means it won't come back. 

From experience and what I've read on here a little bleed is normal. Although your op was 6 weeks ago you're still healing inside so continue to take it easy. It's normal to be afraid, we've all been there. Continue to monitor it and call your CNS if it gets heavier or persists, then they'll get you in and check you out.

I had my TLH 7 months ago and 3 sessions of Brachytherapy 2 months later. I still have the odd smear but mine's due to having to use the horrible dilators!

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you MrsBJH. I really appreciate your reply - it’s lovely to find others who have been or who are going through similar stuff - and I’ll update my profile x

• Hi Phoenix,

I was the same stage as you - 1A.  I was so scared of anything else happening that I literally made myself rest up every afternoon. I took things very carefully as I didn't want to find myself back in hospital!!! I was also very aware of my age (72 at the time). I'd also had a difficult two pregnancies years previously, so was quite used to taking it easy!! I didn't have any bleeding, but have heard of others doing so. My post op bleeding wasn't much and only lasted a week.

My consultant said I would be back to normal fitness in 3 months, so I aimed for that and gradually increased my activity. I think its hard to control worrying. After a year they put me on patient led checks. No more check ups but I can ring them if needed. That gave me a wobble at the time!!! But thinking logically there is no point me taking valuable time up that someone else might need desperately. 

Even a keyhole operation is a big operation. 6 weeks isn't long to get over it. xxxxx 

• Hi Phoenix,  I  to was diagnosed at the same grade and stage as you, my surgery was in August  2019. I had some very light pinkish discharge  like you mention for 8 weeks following my surgery. I  asked my consultant about it at my check 5 weeks post op and he wasn't concerned and it eventually just  stopped. It's  hard after you have been diagnosed with cancer not to worry about any twinge or pain, we all know how you feel and that your afraid. Please  don't be afraid to ask for any help form this lovely group. Take care.

Carolina61
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Carolina61

Thank you, both of you x