Decision

• 5 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hello lovely ladies, 

I’m new here and would like to introduce myself, I’m Lorraine and I had a full hysterectomy (keyhole) in March this year. When I went back to see the Dr I was told I had stage 1b grade 2 cancer. I feel very lucky it was caught so early.
 The Dr said they were surprised as it wasn’t picked up with ultra sound scan or biopsy. He explained I had 15% chance of it coming back and then explained brachytherapy and I would have three treatments. I can’t make my mind up weather to have it or not,I had a CT scan and nothing else was found. I will be having 2 month checkups so do I put it off and just have the checkups. What’s putting me off is the long term side effects I don’t know if I can handle them. I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has had brachytherapy as at the moment I don’t know which path to choose. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to our little corner of the Online Community to the Womb cancer group. Here you will find a lovely group of supportive members who’ve all made the same rollercoaster ride so it’s good to hear that your operation has taken place.

A cancer diagnosis will bring many questions, lots of confusion and stress but I found being able to talk with other people who are on the same type of journey helped me a lot. The ladies in this group are all hugely supportive so ask away, we’ll be able to answer most questions.

I myself was stage 1B, grade 3 and was offered 3 sessions of Brachytherapy as a "belt and braces" approach to prevent recurrence. I started 6 weeks after my TLH and confess was terrified when I went in but the Oncologist, radiologist and nurses were brilliant. I had a brief internal exam to make sure I was fully healed. The Oncologist explained everything, a device similar to a snug fitted tampon was inserted. They all left the room, a klaxon briefly sounded and a few clicks later the machine whirred into life. I didn't feel anything apart from a bit undignified!!. About 7 minutes later the machine whirred and clicked. The klaxon sounded and the radiologist & nurses came back in, removed the device, helped me off the bed and that was it all over! The staff were all very caring.

My 3 sessions took place on a Thursday, the following Tuesday and Thursday. I had no side effects apart from the squits for a day the week after session 2. Since then nothing. Some of the ladies here said they felt fatigued but I was fine. Once I started to use the dilators (Horrible things - buzzy toys more fun - yes, at the age of 67 discovered fun!!) I had a little light spotting but my CNS reassured me it was fine but she's arrange for me to come in if worried. 

That is all a distant memory (5 months ago). I'm going to my second 3 month check-up next week and I'm fine.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username..

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Lorrine,  welcome to the forum.  I had my op last August and was Grade 1 Stage 1b. My surgeon advised that I have three sessions of brachytherapy to reduce my chances of any recurrence from about 15% to about 7%. Like you I was very undecided about it, having read about possible side effects I was scared I might end up in a worse situation. In fact I was so undecided I worked myself up into such a state I had my first ever panic attack! In the end, after speaking to the Oncologist I decided to have the three sessions, and once I’d made the decision I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders!  He explained to me that side effects are less likely with brachytherapy than with external radiation, as it is targeted very accurately. I also felt reassured when he told me the radioactive source is about as big as a grain of rice.

Like Barb, I had my three sessions, five minutes long, but mine were once a week for 3 weeks. I did feel tired after each session, but by the next day I was fine. The treatment is undignified but all the staff do everything they can to put you at ease, and I didn’t have any problems.   The worst bit for me has been having to use the dilators, I hate them, as they are a reminder of what has been going on. I do have a buzzy toy tho - that does take my mind off things!!

I hope you manage to come to a decision without too much agonising. 

Viv x

• Hi Lorraine. Like you I am new to the forum and having just completed 6 cycles of chemo following my de-differentiated stage 2 diagnosis last year and a full hysterectomy.  I am due to have 3 sessions of brachytherapy but am really undecided after reading all the side effects. I have a meeting with my oncologist on Monday to discuss but I am so confused as to which way to turn.

• Hi and a welcome to our supportive group of ladies. If you read my reply and Viv's to Lorrine you'll see our reactions to brachytherapy were positive, little or no side effects. The radioactive source is about the size of a grain of rice. If you've ever suffered from IBS or UTI's make sure your Oncologist knows about it.

Good luck for Monday, let us know how your consultation goes.

Big hugs your way, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• It’s over two years since my brachytherapy and I’m having bowel problems which have recently got worse, cramping pains have been constant and urgency in getting to the toilet is starting to worry me. Had my 4 monthly check up today and the Dr said the bowel is very sensitive. I was grade 3 so felt obliged to have the radiotherapy but starting to wish now that I hadn’t. Having said that I’m sure there are lots of women that have no side effects but there’s no way to predict