Fatigue

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi I had a hysterectomy six weeks ago. It was keyhole surgery and I had everything removed. Physically I sailed through surgery and post op. 
my problem though is fatigue. I am constantly exhausted. I thought initially it was because I was stuck at home not able to drive. I live alone so had the loneliness and I put It down to that but I am going out now I can drive and it’s worse. I go out and constantly sleep when I get home. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

I think it's the body's way of saying " Oi stop poking and prodding me about!" We've all had months of stressful tests, waiting and worrying and now it's time to wind down. Because I've got dogs I was very soon back to walking between 3 & 5 miles daily. I was knackered when I got in mind. 

Don't be lonely any more - you've got all of us to talk to, we're here for you!

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Dellybelly

Welcome to our comfy corner of the forum.

I had never known fatigue like it post surgery. One minute I was fine the next it was like someone had pulled out the plug and down I went. I had to lie down and it took one to two hours till it passed. It did pass but took several months. I did the 6 week online Macmillan HOPE course and one off the sessions was focused on fatigue as it is so common. There was a really great YouTube video by Dr Mike Evans on cancer related fatigue lots of useful info.

This has been a lonely time for many, Penny Brohn centre have lots of online activities on their website and Macmillan have a buddy system, not sure if any of that appeals.

Sending you best wishes in your recovery, it is still early days and your body has a lot of healing to do.

Honey Honey pot BeeTwo hearts

• Hi Dellybelly, you are still at an early stage of recovery. It took me several months to get past the bouts of fatigue. I had brain-fog and bad memory too, which I now think was because I was so tired for so long. I kept thinking of the size of what had been removed and wondering how such a small amount of flesh could have such a big effect. I also live alone, and I think that makes it more obvious when you are weary because there is nobody to step in and cook the tea or do the shopping. And more so now with the Covid rules keeping so many of us on our own. Keep your mind on the long game. I was - as per my name - a long-distance runner for years before my operation in 2017 which was a TLH and BSO. I viewed my recovery as a long slow training-programme. Macmillan gave me an exercise chart and a fatigue chart so I could record what I did every day and see if there was a pattern to the fatigue (but there wasn't!). I built up my stamina again very slow and steady, gradually building up my exercise from walking to running and then greater distances. 19 months post-op I ran a half-marathon again, and I haven't really looked back.  So you see, 6 weeks in is definitely early days. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you for you kind comments. I feel emotional reading them. My mum passed away in November and then surgery in February so it has felt a strange time