Endometrial cancer - hysterectomy date 21 April 2021

• 13 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi, 

Just touching base.  Not really a community chat sort of person but feeling anxious at this time, combined with lockdown (although signs of emergence along with green shoot signs of spring in the garden), death of my father last November and my daughter living abroad.  I think I'm at the 'lucky' end of the spectrum with Stage 1a and hysterectomy going to be keyhole at my local hospital rather than being referred to well known cancer clinic in Manchester.  I am however very tired and almost thinking too tired for a lower end spectrum cancer so my mind is working overtime and imaging that I have it elsewhere. It hasn't spread directly from the womb lining but I was surprised that they didn't check all the rest of your body to make sure you didn't have two sites at the same time....  Also already worried that when they further investigate after the hysterectomy they will find that I need chemo which I don't think I could take.  Don't know why I can't just take it one step at a time!  Would be nice to hear from anyone else who is/has been in same situation. 

• Hi   and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you are now. A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

I'm sorry to hear your father passed away last year and your daughter lives abroad. Does that mean you're going through all this stress on your own? That must be hard but now you've got us.

I myself had never been a community chat sort of person but this forum has been my lifeline. I've been married over 40 years but hubby's the type to shrug things off or ignore them. When I'd lay awake in the night crying instead of giving me a cuddle he'd be more likely to turn over. So I used this forum, shared my fears, highs and lows and have even become a Community Champion! All my tests,scans,op,adjuvant treatment took place in lockdown, attending all by myself. (Hubby did drive me and pick me up from hospital)

Until the histology results come through after the op they won't know if any further treatment is needed. Quite a few ladies here just had the op and nothing further needed - however again the mind goes into overdrive and they've worried about that.. So, for the time being, try not to overthink things, easier said than done.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Mrs BJH. Thank you SO much for reaching out. It's nice to talk to someone who has been through it. Where are you now? In remission I hope.

Yes, I'm alone but have a very good friend locally and two neighbours who are supportive. Sorry about your lack of real support at home - men are a different breed, aren't they?!

My daughter is coming over to take me into hospital and out and stay with me for a couple of weeks support, so I'm thrilled about that.  The last time I saw her was at her granddad's funeral. Luckily these days we have wonderful phones and Facetime so we speak every day. 

I am very up and down but it's helpful to know that I won't know until histology after op whether that can be it, or I need further therapy.  I think the consultants tell you these things but somehow it doesn't always sink in.  So, thanks for that!

I am trying to take each day as it comes and not get ahead of myself. I shall download the literature you recommend. 

Thanks again,

Sharon

• Hi Sharon. Just about to have my second post op consultation with my Oncologist on 20th April, then transfer back to Gynae Consultant on 1st June, then with him for 3 years. It's no problem as both a rather dishy!! I feel absolutely fit and well and sometimes wonder "Did that really happen to me?"

Great to hear your daughter is coming to stay with you, that'll be a great help.

Not to get ahead of yourself but now's the time to think about cleaning your cupboards, batch cooking for the freezer and packing your bag in readiness, investing in some BJ's (Bridget Jones big pants) loose clothes etc.

Don't forget, any questions, no matter how silly , we're here for you!

Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Barb, Glad you are well now. I shall get myself ready but more doing gardening that I won't be able to do when I come out rather than cupboards and more of a takeaway girl than batch cooking!! However, daughter is good cook so she will be able to spoil me at first.  As for big pants and loose clothes, at my age those are already staple wardrobe items! Have a nice Easter. Sharon

• Hi Shaz,

I was diagnosed with 1a cancer nearly four years ago. I also had keyhole surgery which was amazing, and I recovered well at age 72!!  I had a CT scan and A MRI scan and in that they found I had my thyroid growing down the back of my throat. I was completely oblivious to that. I got over the hysterectomy and was referred to the throat department. They are not unduly worried, and I was signed off!!!

If it weren't for Covid I'd say my life is back to what it was. There is nothing I don't do (just finished wallpapering). I did take life easily for about 3 months after the operation. Enjoy time with your daughter. I'm sure you will be fine. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NannyAnny

I was diagnosed with Stage 1a cancer just over 3 years and didn't need any further treatment - I took about 12 weeks off work as I went back at 8 weeks but it was too early so had to have more time off and spent another 6 weeks on a phased return. Have now gone part time and decided to fully retire at the end of this year so for me life is back on track.  I haven't had a check up since 3 weeks after my op so hopefully all is ok!

• Thank you.  That's all good to know and glad the thyroid issue was not too bad. xx

• Thanks Angelfish. I work from home (always did, not because of COVID) so able to choose my hours which is brilliant. I am longing to retire (now 62) but flipping government upped it to 66 so still have to do a bit! 

So glad you are well but a little worried about your lack of check ups.  I have already been told that I have to be checked every 3 months after my op for 2/3 years (can't quite remember) and then perhaps 6 monthly/annually for five years. So, maybe follow that up? Slight smile

• Hi Shaz,

I only had 2 check ups in Year 1, and then they put me on a patient led scheme. I ring them if I have any problems. I think the thinking is with a low stage it frees time for more serious stages. I can fully appreciate this, but found it a bit hard at first! I thought I was supposed to have a telephone call yearly, but that hasn't happened.

My husband and I once worked out how many people one hospital must see in one department each year!!! It was mind blowing. ( While we waited a couple of hours to be seen in Head and Neck clinic. He had throat cancer 14 years ago).

• I had that cancer called endometrial, may have spelt that wrong, with a tumour, they couldn't figure out if the tumour caused the cancer of cancer caused tumour, anyway, i said rip everything out, so they slashed me open and took everything, including my appendix, thank the lord, can you imagine surviving cancer and your appendix kills you?, anyway, i seem ok now, i haven't had a check for a few months, they stopped calling, thank guys, love you to, :) i had it done when i was 59 in 2019 followed  by 6 months of chemo, i lost my hair, but it grew back into a curly mop of salt and pepper, i love it, so there are a few perks. They contacted me again and I have an appointment with the oncologist in December, probably checking up to see if i'm still alive.

MrsBJH, maybe he is a guy that thinks if he ignores it it will go away, he is maybe as scared as you are, you know what guys are like when expressing emotions, unless its whos buying the next drink.  I wish you all the best and i would cuddle you if it wasnt for the screen  :)