Treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi all I have been reading on here for a few months now so have decided to join..my mum was recently diagnosed with womb cancer grade 3 stage 1b just before Christmas. she is 5 weeks post op now an has been to see her oncologist. 6 sessions of chemo an 25 sessions of radio mon-fri for 5 weeks. This seems quite a lot, didn’t think there would be both or so many sessions as no spread. I guess this is to reduce the reoccurrence chances. Just interested if anyone else has experienced the same an if there was many side effects with treatment? 

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where your Mum is now  A possibility of cancer diagnosis brings all sorts of stress and fears and if anyone can hold your hand and reassure you we will. We're all at the start, in the middle or the end of what can only be described as a roller-coaster ride. The ride no-one wants to get on.

1. I hope your Mum's recovery post op is going well, did she had keyhole?

We've all found adjuvant treatments differ quite significantly. Stage 1B means the cancer had penetrated the womb wall by more than 50%. The histology results will have shown by how much so that's when the treatment plan is calculated. I myself was the same, stage 1B grade 3 and I had 3 sessions of Brachytherapy as a belt and braces option to prevent recurrence. My LVSI & Lymph nodes were all clear but some malignant cells were found in the peritoneal wash. 

Other ladies on here having had chemo will offer their thoughts and advice. With my Brachytherapy I just had one day being near to a loo but others felt fatigued.

When you have a minute, it would be helpful if you could pop something about your  journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. (It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.) To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can update it at any time and if you're not sure what you should write have a quick look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer I found it invaluable in my journey. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear. It's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look to see what is available by Clicking here .

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

Sending you welcoming hugs, B xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi mrs b thank you for the reply. Yeah she is doing really good she had an abdominal hysterectomy so she is just getting back on her feet the last few weeks, just extremely tired. 
    I hear a lot of stories on here talk about belt an braces not quite sure how this works. I hope the treatment doesn’t be too sore on her? Will be spread out over 5-6 months. This forum is just so goTwo hearts for all concerns. Thank you Two hearts

• Hi again . Curiosity got the better of me as to the use of the phrase so I did a little research!

The phrase belt and braces denotes a double precautionary measure taken in order to decrease the likelihood of mishap.

i.e both used to hold up loose trousers! (I thought it meant teeth LOL ! 

Barb x

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Ha ha Barb, ever seen anyone with a belt in their mouth??!! Braces yes, belt no, unless you belong to some weird group!

Glad  to hear your mum is doing well Deb88, but don’t let her overdo things, she’s had a big op and needs to take her time getting back to health.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jigsaw33

I think it varies - I only had the op but my SIL's team went for the 'belt and braces' approach and had 6 sessions of chemo, 25 Radio and 2 Brachytherapy 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to MrsBJH

Aye yeah I get what you mean now..silly me!! It can be very worrying I guess we will just have to deal with it all as it comes..thank you all for your response. Other similar experiences r def very helpful when trying to understand if all. Info overload sometimes. Take care all x

• Hi Deb,

Sorry you are here. I have no experience with womb cancer and chemo or radiotherapy, but have nursed my husband and daughter through one or the other. (see my profile) My daughter had chemo for breast cancer 7 years ago. She had 6 sessions, too. She was pretty poorly the week after she had chemo, then was better in week 2 and better still in week 3. That was the pattern all through. She did have to cope with an enforced menopause as well, so your Mum won't have that. My husband had radiotherapy for 7 weeks on his neck for throat cancer. That was 14 years ago. His skin was very sore, but they give you cream to put on, and it affected his eating (which won't be your Mums problem). Both of them were very tired especially at the end of treatment. Both the treatments were not 'a bed of roses', but it scotched any further trouble, so worth it. The nurses and staff were very good at looking after them. Ask for any help you need, don't keep quiet.

I think it depends which area is targeted as to what specific side effects you get. 

Good luck to you and your Mum xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi all sorry for the delay..my mum was doing well however she has had her first ct scan since her op (7 weeks ago) the ct scan has showed soft tissue mass of 1cm were one of the ovaries was,although she had a full hysterectomy..hoping this is just scare tissue, they have said not to worry but it’s alarming with news like that!! Waiting game again now for a mri to confirm so chemo that was due to start this week has now been put on hold!!

• Hi . That's the awful thing - we all agree the endless waiting is so draining, especially when your Mum's probably psyched herself up for the chemo and it's been put on hold.

Hope the MRI scan confirms it's scar tissue and thing go ahead soon.

Sending you and you Mum big hugs, Barb xx HuggingHugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum