Re hysterectomy

• 18 replies
  • 65 subscribers
  • I had hysterectomy, because of pre cancer cells.Got results online Says I have stage 1 endomimial cancer I ,see Dr on the 11.Just,wondered if I will need treatment.tks,for reading.Take care.  Pat
  • Hello Pattycake

I hope that you are recovering ok from your hysterectomy. 

I am sorry to hear that the results showed that there was endometrial cancer present. I'm sorry that you had to find out on line but am glad that you are seeing your doctor tomorrow to discuss what happens next for you.

It is positive that it is at stage 1 as this means its still early. Whether or not any further treatment is needed will depend on the grade of the cancer and other aspects of your post op pathology. If it is a low grade cancer then sometimes surgery is enough. For higher grade or certain pathologies then further treatment can sometimes be recommended. I am sure the doctor will go through it all in detail as they will have the full results/pathology and will be able to explain if you need any follow up treatment.

I hope that tomorrow goes well for you and that you get the answers you need, in the meantime we are here if you need us. There is also the Macmillan Support line if you feel chatting things through would help.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi,Please,let me know If this is before or after hysterectomy.He,did say final result   Many other,things are negative.

terus, cervix, bilateral fallopian tubes, bilateral ovaries, Robotic-assisted laparoscopic total hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy:
    1. Endometrioid carcinoma, NOS, Low grade (FIGO grade 1)
    2. Tumor measures 1.7 cm in greatest dimension.
    3. Negative for myoinvasion.
  • I,had just replied,with copy and paste.Does it show on here?

terus, cervix, bilateral fallopian tubes, bilateral ovaries, Robotic-assisted laparoscopic total hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy:
    1. Endometrioid carcinoma, NOS, Low grade (FIGO grade 1)
    2. Tumor measures 1.7 cm in greatest dimension.
    3. Negative for myoinvasion.
  • Hi,it is Figo stage 1A. So,that means,Yes I do have cancer,but very early stage.And just every 6 month dr appt? Il'l find out thursday.But,would be nice,to know your thoughts,today.tks

• Hi Pattycake,

we are not medically trained on here and can only really talk about what we have experienced.

Stage 1A means the tumour was confined to your womb. (1A normally means that it had grown less than 50% into the muscle) 

Endometroid carcinoma means that this is the most common type of womb cancer and it starts in the cells of the endometrium (womb lining) It can be associated with excess oestrogen. This is the grade 1 bit. So it's also a type 1 endometrial cancer.

I would be hopeful for you that provided the rest of your pathology has come back ok then you may be able to just transfer to the check ups. (12 weekly at my hospital) However there is variation between hospitals.

The exceptions would be if there was any evidence of LVSI or if there is any genetic factors that have shown up. In these circumstances sometimes people are offered adjuvant treatment even at Stage 1. (I had chemo and radiotherapy)

Good Luck for your appointment tomorrow- I would feel personally reassured by what you have been told so far as long as nothing unexpected has shown up.

Please let us know how you get on- fingers crossed for you

Jane

• Tks, jane.ill let you know more Thursday.Have a good day

• Hi Jane.appt,later toyday.So,as I said Stage 1A.However,does that mean it was removed,at hysterectomy? Tks so much,for all your help

• As I understand it, stage 1a or 1b means confined to the womb, so it would be removed during the hysterectomy. The appointment will explain if there has been any LVSI , when microscopic cells have "escaped", then they would be likely to advise further treatment. They should also tell you the grade of the cancer, grade 1 being the least aggressive and grade 3 being more aggressive. This can also influence the treatment advice. In an ideal world, you will be told the stage is 1a and grade 1 with no LVSI. 

Let us know x

• I hope that your appointment goes well.

Stage 1 means it is in the womb only so should have all been removed with the surgery. The exception would be if there were any LVSI found.

Some people if they are stage 1A and a grade 1 with no genetic factors and no LVSI could avoid further treatment. They will look in detail at all the factors though before making any recommendation. 

So I was stage 1 but had follow up due to the pathology. 

Do let us know how you get on. Good Luck

• Hello  

I hope your appt goes well today. All the replies you have had have explained everything really well so there is nothing I can add.

Your Consultant can answer any questions you may have too.

Wishing you all the best today.

Kxx