How is everyone who has had surgery and treatment either chemotherapy or / and radiotherapy

• 8 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Hi all ladies

I have currently had my fourth session of chemotherapy and hopefully all I need, and I may be having some sort of radiotherapy.  I just wanted to know if any of you ladies had to have chemotherapy and both external radiotherapy and brachytherapy and also how everyone is doing after they have completed their surgery and treatments.  Also, is it just follow up check ups that you have or does anyone have to take any kind of medication to help them.  

Does everyone feel back to normal and enjoying life again or has it taken awhile to feel well again.

Thank you in advance and good luck to all of you.

Ange

• Hi Ange

I found it took a while to recover. I would say it is about getting back to the new normal. I think after having surgery, then chemo and then radiotherapy its about getting back to being the best you can be. A lot of the effects did start to go within the first year. 

At 18 months post treatment I am better than I was but cancer has had its impact. I do have some lasting effects and they are on the whole being managed with medication and lifestyle adaptions. 

I still very much need to pace myself and if I do return to work at some point it is likely to be in a different role. 

Although I have effects from the chemo that need medication I would say it is probably the side effects from the radiotherapy that have more the day to day impact.

I have 3 monthly check ups for the first 2 years. After that it is patient led follow up. I will get discharged from oncology at 5 years from the end of treatment. 

Everyone is different in their experiences and I found most symptoms were worse during and just after treatment. Then they would generally start to get better. A lot went but a few remained. I would say its about pacing yourself, not doing too much to soon and accepting that it can take time to recover. The 3 monthly check ups include support for any long term or Late effects from treatment.

I hope that your chemo has gone ok and that you have not had too many side effects.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi  

I had 2 major surgeries then more tests and was diagnosed as stage 4 incurable. I was quite poorly waiting for treatment to start. I had 5 cycles of chemotherapy and 5 sessions of radiotherapy for symptom control re bone mets. I am currently stable since September 2022 at end of treatment. I have fatigue and need to pace myself but this has gradually got a bit better. I have brain fog, concentration problems and toileting urgency. I have had to take medical retirement at 53. I have been advised that the cancer will return and that I will have a short life. I have 6 monthly CT and oncology appointments. My life is very different to what my normal was. I worked full time in a challenging role and was very independent. 

I know that there is no standard cancer journey but wanted to show another side of the coin. I agree with  in that, it is recovering to the best you can be and a new normal. 

Best wishes for your treatment.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi sistermoon

Thank you for replying and it is good to hear another side to the ‘coin’.

I wish you all the very best and good luck.  We are all here for you.

Ange

• Hi Jane

Thank you for your wise words and I hope your side effects improve in time.

I think I’m thinking that I want to be the same as I was before cancer and now realise that I may not be and will have to accept this.  I will just have to wait and see how I am.  I am thankful for this forum as it has and still is helping me at times when I feel the only people who understand are the ladies in this group.

Thanks again Jane, you are very helpful

Ange

• Hi  

It is still relatively early days for me (7 wks post 27 sessions pelvic radiotherapy). I have not had chemotherapy.

I am experiencing side effects from radiotherapy - it is still early days. I feel relieved that surgery and radiotherapy are over but am exhausted pretty much all the time. I do have other health conditions that add to the picture and I am also under the Long Covid team.

I am also adjusting to the possible implications of LVSI discovered after my surgery. This episode in my life has been and is huge to comprehend. I don't feel the same as I did before. I feel forever changed. I can't explain it more than that. It's a "new" me.

I am very thankful for the care I have received and definitely try to take each day as a new precious day.

Best wishes to you xx

• My radio and brachy finished mid May 2022. I had no side effects till week 4 of my radio and even then it was mild - just some bloating and occasional urgency, but no diarrhoea. Those things gradually faded during the two weeks post treatment. Physically I recovered quickly, mentally I felt tired for a while - I think not from the treatment but from the whole whirlwind rollercoaster cancer experience, and adjusting from the months of attention and support going suddenly to nothing. Yes having had cancer has changed me - but I think for the better. I have more understanding, am more mature as a person, and also, having faced all this, am generally less afraid of life. 

• Thank you  , that's lovely to hear.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi Marmitefan

I am so glad you have recovered physically and do get that you feel tired mentally by the whole experience, going from lots of attention to nothing, I feel I will feel a bit like that mentally, as at the time, you are focused on receiving the treatment and I feel the whole process of it all will come into realisation when my treatment is finished!  If that makes sense!

At least you’ve got something positive and feel a better person from everything you’ve gone through, I can definitely understand  that too, it makes you look at things differently and make the most of everything.

I wish you well and lots of happiness and good luck.

Ange