Hysterectomy done, what now?

• 21 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

New joiner here. Some questions if you don’t mind?

I had my hysterectomy (total+ovaries) two weeks ago abdominally at Ipswich hospital. Endometrial cancer stage1 type 2 was the initial diagnosis. I was wondering how long histology results take to come through?

I haven’t been advised of any follow up appointments or what happens now, can anyone tell me your experiences.

Timescales? How long before I know if further treatment will be needed? Will I be monitored for some time?

I feel like I am a bit in the dark, maybe I should have asked more questions, but at the time I was just concentrating on getting through things.

• Thanks everyone for your messages, I appreciate them all.

I now have a date for my follow up appointment, it’s this Friday. For anyone else reading this thread in the future with a similar question, that means 25 days between surgery and the appointment.

All the staples are now out, the infection seems to have subsided, though there’s a small part of the wound which has not healed over, I’m going to the nurse twice a week to get it dressed with alginate dressing. I’m using a cream to massage on the (healed) part of the scar in the hope of minimising it, sent by my loving Mum! Has anyone else had success with this and if so, what did you use?

best wishes 

Flatlander

• Hi, just back home from the chemo unit where I had another reaction to the Docetaxel. This time they were ready for me and I knew with just 2 minutes in that it was happening again. I have been referred back to the oncologist on 21st June to discuss another chemo drug.  Im concerned that it is dragging out and by the time I get my first treatment it will be 8-9 weeks since my hysterectomy. Hopefully this will be 3rd time lucky. Thats great news that you dont need more treatment at the moment lets hope this is all put to bed for you now. xxx

• Hi Flatlander, 

Glad you have had the date through for your follow up appointment and I hope it goes well. 

I only had small wounds as mine was laparoscopic but I used tamanu balm (from Tropic) and it helped me- once the wounds were healed. It was something I tend to use anyway. 

Let us know how you get on Friday and in the meantime, if there is anything you need, you know where we are

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello all,

I had my results meeting today, after waiting an hour getting more and more stressed (surgeon was not impressed, apparently the wait was pure balls up by the support staff) I was told very good news. No further treatment required. Such a massive relief, I am so lucky. 
    I still have a bit of an issue with 1. Wound healing and 2. Feeling like I need to wee all the time (very little wee is actually needing to come out, but I feel like there’s pints and pints in there! sorry for the graphic description) 

wee issue apparently needs monitoring as it’s not so good and wound healing is a matter of time.

I also asked about driving in case anyone is interested this is a snippet of surgeon gen… she asked if I could jump up and down, when I could she said I was fine to drive. Apparently if you don’t feel comfortable to do this then you aren’t ready yet, your brain will stop you if you aren’t up to it. Who knew?

anyway thanks for all your support, I hope those of you waiting for results get quick and positive news, and those of you who are still undergoing treatment have a painless and easy time.

with best wishes 

Flatlander

• So pleased that you have had good news.

I had the same, earlier this week and I cannot believe it.

Wishing you all the best for the future. K.

• I'm so sorry to hear that you have had trouble with your chemo again. It must be so worrying for you.

Here's hoping that they can find something to help you very soon. 

Wishing you all the best. X

• Great news Flatlander! Hope the other bits sort themselves out soon. Re the advice re driving, I’ve never heard of that before. The criteria for being fit to drive is to be able to do an emergency stop, and I’m not sure how feeling ready to jump relates to that! 

• Ha ha MarmiteFan, I know… her reasoning was that if you can comfortably jump up and down, you are able to withstand the jarring that will occur when doing an emergency stop. If your body rebels at the thought then you aren’t safe to do one so you are not ready.

• Hi, yes it is slightly concerning and am keen to get on with it. The waiting around is difficult so I need to keep myself busy on the run up to the appointment. Thanks for your support, always welcome. x

• Flatlander, I’m two and a half years post op and I still can’t jump up and down due to spinal stenosis which started just before I was diagnosed. I’d say emergency stop requires mental alertness and ability to fully depress the clutch then the brake in very quick succession. (I was driving far sooner than most I think post op)