carboplatin, paclitaxol- hair loss and cooling caps- any advice

• 21 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Good Morning hope all are doing ok on their journeys.

Due to have an appt on Thursday- I think it is the chemo planning one.

Due to have carboplatin and paclitaxol.

Did anyone opt for cooling caps and is there evidence that they work. Would be interested in anyones experiences.

Hair loss is the most upsetting bit at the moment for me. 

I am interested in trying cool caps but don't want to feel that it is for no point and it will come out anyway. 

If you have used them- whats the actual procedure?

I will obviously ask at my appt but just trying to prepare the best I can

• Robin, I must add that it's essential the cap fits correctly and snugly, if it lifts and does not make contact with scalp then it won't work. Ask the nurses to check and adjust the bungee cords. 

On my  cycle 2 different nurse put on a smaller cap and I remember I kept touching the top of the cap and pushing it down to make contact. I lost a lot of hair and maybe it's because the cap didn't fit snugly enough. I also know of a younger lady has used the Cold cap, she also lost some hair around hairline due to cap not making good contact, she had long hair and was advised to get it cut to a long bob otherwise too much hair needs to be squeezed under the cap and again contact won't be as good.

It's very very cold, painfully cold for the first 20 minutes but bear with it as it doesn't last long and you will get used to it.

Read up on the PAXMAN manual available online, there's some good tips about haircare whilst having chemotherapy. X

Madesp 
  • It's certainly worth a try like you said you don't need to look like you're having Chemo if you can help it. But you will still lose your eyebrows and lashes. It may be worth getting the brows microbladed or tattooed BEFORE Chemo starts to prevent risk of infection. X

Madesp 
  • Hi Jane 

Sorry for the late reply I missed this post yesterday.I completely get where your coming from. Hair is a big part of how we feel, I always look forward to my hair appointments and it lifts me when my hair feels and looks nice. I know everyone is different and for some folks hair loss is obviously not a preference but they take it in their stride. My achilles heel is the worry about not finding my veins for chemo.

The way I'm trying to get through both the hair loss and the vien thing is to be as prepared as possible.

Hair

I have booked an appointment with a NHS approved salon for a consultation.this Friday. I'm very excited about trying on some really funky styles and colours really want to try a silver fox one lol im a light golden brown currently. She has scarves and hats etc too. My lovely hairdresser has offered instead of cutting my hair now she will use my 4 oclock slot to shut up shop early and take me there so I'm going to have a ball. I trust her to know what suits me. She will cut my hair short another day so if it does start coming out or needs shaving off it will be less off a dramatic change.

My way of coping with anything in my life is to arm myself with as many facts as possible and plan the best I can so that I feel a sense of some control at least. I'm going to give cold cap a good go and hopefully it works but if it doesn't I will have nice scarves/hats and a nice easy to care for wig ready and waiting just incase. Even if I manage to keep my hair I will wear the wig I on the odd occasion when I can't be bothered to do my hair.

Viens

Ive had some great information from one of our group who has the same problems giving blood etc with her veins. Ive read up on PICC lines and will speak to Oncology about my concerns. 

I'm trying to think about the bigger picture and for me that means being focused on just getting through each stage of this process the best way i can.

i have had some lows as all of us have im sure. its not always easy and it can be very scary sometimes but I remind myself that it is all a means to an end and I can do it. 

I hope you find what works for you Jane to help you to get through this particularly difficult stage of your journey. Remember you are a warrior you can do this.

Big hugs, we are in this together 

Robin xxx

• Hi . It's important to be well hydrated before your chemo in order for them to find your veins. Also my team give you what I can only describe as a bean bag which they put in the microwave to warm your hands up. After that I never had a problem with them locating veins but always in different places, done by different nurses.

- Mad I must be old, never heard of micro-blading - I'd've thought it was some sort of sport LOL. I think my neighbour has some sort of treatment for her eyebrows but she looks perpetually surprised so I wouldn't want that!

I love wearing my wig as I feel years younger (it's not a style too young for me - just blonde!) Before my hair was mid-brown with I'd say silver wings which looked quite classy - my hairdresser said some ladies would happily pay for the same thing!

My sprouts are getting more defined and darker, no longer a halo and eyebrows coming back.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks Barb. It's my biggest dread. You would not of believed the bruises on my hands and arms when I came out of hospital recently. I know the Oncology nurses find viens day in day out so I'm trying to keep reminding myself of that. I didn't know about the bean bag great tip thank you.

Great news about your hair coming back. My friend talked about the chemo curl. She said her mums hair came back a slightly different colour and very soft and curly  she was previously poker straight. She said her hair was never as good as it is now so that's reassuring.

Hugs Robin xx

• I always dreaded it too - during my hysterectomy they struggled to get the cannula in or get blood.  Just like Barb says, drink plenty before you go, so that you are hydrated and they used a heat pad on me too.  The nurses are v experienced, so hopefully it will be fine.  Loads of others in the ward were given the heat pads, so it is not unusual Four leaf clover

• Thank you GwenDot - it's good to know that you were OK. Yes I keep reminding myself that the nurses are very experienced 

Robin x

• Ahh so good to hear your hair coming back Barb, I'm sure this will lift you up and I'm really hoping my fine hair I I'm losing with chemo will return at some point too.

I know what you mean about the eyebrows, my daughter has them done, they are really defined and depending her expression some days she looks wildly angry Rage! lol.

Microblading.....some kind of sport? Who thinks up  giving eyebrow tattoo these funny names eh? Lol.

Xx

Madesp 
  • I've never had issues before any of this, but since Chemo started I'm having problems with bloods and cannula insertion, I've drank gallons of water and even with the heat pack they put on the veins they still can't get access. I've decided to have PICC line in my arm and see how that goes hopefully I won't regret it. I will post in a new thread once I have it done next week so you are informedBlushXBlush

Madesp 
  • I had trouble with my veins as the treatments went on, at my last one it took 3 nurse’s to find one even with using the heat pack. My hair is coming back quite well although I shaved it I never went completely bald and it did grow slowly between treatments although the crown of my head is longer then the rest lol and I lost my eyebrow and lashes on the right side but lost hardly any on the left lol. X