vulvectomy

• 6 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi  I am having a vulvectomy in 2 weeks. was diagnosed in Dec after having 2 biopsies.  I have put in an order with Amazon for a doughnut cushion, ice packs, wet and dry wipes and a Douche bottle. I am just interested in how others coped after the op. and any tips they can give me. also an idea on recovery time, I am normally a very active person, I am also waiting for a knee replacement once recovered.

thanks  

• Hi Minesta, I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and know how you feel.  I was diagnosed last year and hat a radical vulvectomy and lymph nodes removed in groins in June.  I was in so much pain and discomfort before the operation and just wanted it all done.  The operation went well, it was uncomfortable after but the pain relief was taken and it soon eased.  I came home on the 5th day.  
    you must rest when your body tells you.  At my age (73) I was not as fit as you probably are and it was over 8 weeks until I felt more or less back to normal.  
    so pleased you have got your supplies ready, as you will find them so useful for comfort and cleanliness.

I still like to sit on cushions as it is more comfortable.  I know we are all different and hope others can also give you an insight as to their feelings.

Please ask if you have any concerns, always happy to help if I can.

• Hello Minesta, I found using the hand shower worked best for me as I could not get on with the bottle. Pleased so say after having my tumour removed I did not have any infections. Hope all goes well.

• Hi minesta,

I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis. 

I used the shower after going the toilet and just used a flannel with plain warm water but no soap.

No wipes straight after the operation as I was told not to use them as they have perfume in them and could cause infection.

I bought the peri bottle as I had an open wound from my partial vulvectomy op near my back passage, but I didn’t use that until at least 6 week post op.

I use water based wipes now, 3 months post op when needed during the day. 

I also bought a doughnut cushion but couldn’t use it as the seating position was uncomfortable so I sat on 2 soft pillows instead. 

Just make sure you use clean towels and flannels every time you wash to avoid infection. 

take care

• Hi

thank you for your advice it really helps hearing from people that have been through the same problem. Unfortunately my op was due on the 22nd but has been delayed because of the junior doctors strike. Very frustrating as you fear yourself up for it. 
    thank you again for your support. 

• Minesta, I am so very sorry to hear that your operation was postponed, due to the junior doctors strike, such an awful delay and extra time for your nerves to kick in again.  Have you any idea when it will go ahead?  Try to keep strong.

• Hi Minesta

I had a vulvectomy in August and was told to only wash it with water. I ended up with a massive infection and ended up going into the womens hospital A&E department. The nurse i saw there told me to wash my wound with salt water. I had a sitz bath, which is a small bowl that fits onto the toilet that you fill with warm water and it has a pump to propell the water up. It was amazing. My infection cleared up in no time with that and antibiotics. I was back into full time work in 8 weeks, which looking back was a mistake but I am doing much better now. I still use the sitz bath from time to time now even after it has healed because it just makes you feel cleaner. 

I cant recommend a sitz bath enough for after your surgery. I got mine from amazon, but make sure you get one with the pump.

Good luck i hope all goes well.