Hi, I’ve just joined this group.

• 6 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I had surgery in February of this year to remove cancerous tissue from my vulva & the lymph nodes removed from both groins. I had 3 return visits for intravenous antibiotics- 1 for a groin infection due to open wounds the 2 bouts of cellulitis.

I’m now on a low dosage daily antibiotic (since end of cellulitis 3/5/23) to prevent a recurrence & I’m pleased to say this has been successful.

I have attended the lymphoedema nurse at Accord Hospice for 2 weeks & have been given compression tights which I feel have improved/lightened both of my legs. Although I have been ordered a 2nd, skin coloured pair 3 weeks ago, there has been a problem with deliveries & I will have to wait another week.

In the meantime I’m struggling in this heat with my existing black pair. With daily rinsing through , I feel they’re losing their strength as I’m able to put them on myself now! 
(It could be that they’re doing their job & the swelling has reduced in my legs making it easier to squeeze into them!)

I’m still frustrated at how slow my recovery has been & still feel lacking in energy with poor mobility.

please tell me I’m not alone?

• Hello , welcome to the group . I hope you soon get your stocking delivery , although I don’t have the same as you I certainly can understand the frustration in a long recovery. I am battling a secon infection which is really painful especially when a male doctor said “ where is it “ I could herd the … oh in his voice . Needless to say I wasn’t seen but prescribed antibiotics over the phone . 
    This is a wonderful group to get knowledge and support from x 

• Does anyone who has lymphoedema in both legs use a rebounder mini trampoline to aid lymph movement?

• Thanks for your positivity Thumbsup tone1

• Your not alone x

I had a vulvectomy in February.

Have also been in hospital twice since with infections. Have not had my lymph nodes removed so I don't have the swelling issues but I can imagine what a daily challenge that is and I'm sorry you have to deal with this. 

My surgery has given me my own challenges. losing part of my urethra has caused me some incontinence issues which will have to be treated if it doesn't improve on its own. Also no Clitoris feels like a cruel blow!

Three months on  how do I feel ? I know my fitness needs to improve I get tired and breathless if I have to do a lot and even get tired sometimes if I'm not doing a lot!

• But I'm going back to work for a few days next week so that's going to be a huge milestone. Good or Bad ? I'm anxious.I don't know if this little rambling message has been any help  but I just wanted you to feel that others are walking this path X
  • Thank you - your comments do help. I know before my op my consultant did tell me it would be a long road to recovery. I just thought I’d be stronger than I am.

I’m just frustrated by how long it’s taking. I’ve found I need small goals to aim for and have to keep reminding myself how far I’ve come already!
    Good luck to you going back to work, you’ll be tired but it is another step on the road to recovery. X

• Hi  

My journey has been different to yours. I only had 1 lymph node from each side removed. So no lymphoedema or stockings for me. However, my recovery was slow and I had infections after my surgery so I can relate to that part at least. I had 2 surgery’s and what I did learn from the first is to take it easy and not push myself too far. That helped with my second recovery! I hope you recover quickly and your new stockings arrive soon. 

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm