Having Surgery

• 44 replies
  • 29 subscribers

So having discussed the option of Radiotherapy instead of Surgery it seems I am not a candidate.

Unfortunately my Cancer lump is too close to my Clitoris and therefore I am having it removed, along with possibly Lymph nodes.

I know its the right thing to do but my female self is in bits.  How do I cope with what I feel is me being mutilated.

Anyone been where I am and any words of how I cope?

• Hi

It must have been disappointing to discover that you're not a suitable candidate for radiotherapy if that was your preference.

I don't have any experience with the surgery that you're going to have but noticed that you hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily spotted. 

While you're waiting for replies you could have a look through some of the previous posts to see if anyone else has had the same surgery.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Aah thank you for those kind words.

I did have a brief look but have not found anyone yet. Surgery now booked for the 5th January x

• If you can't find anyone here who's had the surgery you could always have a chat to the nurses on the Macmillan Support Line . I know that's not the same as talking to someone who's had the surgery but they're very good at listening and also have people who can talk to you about the emotional side of things. It's free to call on 0808 808 0000 and they're available every day from 8am to 8pm.

Wishing you all the best x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi there. I don't know if it any consolation, but I am in a similar situation. I had surgery 1 month ago to remove my tumour which was unfortunately too close to my clitoris so that was removed. It all happened so fast I don’t even think I have dealt with it mentally. Not sure of your age but I am 30 years old. It’s awful and terrifying

I am due to start radiotherapy to treat my lymph nodes in pelvis and groin just before Christmas.

I am happy for you to message me, I imagine we will be going through the same journey together and I feel no one really understands.

1. Hi there, Oh my gosh I know exactly how you feel.  It's kinda a relief to find someone in my position as its so rare. So I have Lichen Scelarous, which has developed into cancer and a small patch did not clear up, its close to my clitorus and I was devastated when they said in a matter of fact way we will have to remove it.  I am having surgery on 5th January.  My centinal lymph nodes removed also.  I have just about come to terms with the surgery but don't know how to cope after.  I feel like I am going to be mutilated.  How are you. How did the surgery go and how are you recovering.   
  • Hi ,

I didn’t have my clitoris removed, so can’t comment on that side of things. I did however have vulval cancer and I had a wide local excision to remove it. This left me worried about how I would cope, I too worried about have bits of such a sensitive area removed. I have to say for me I am coping ‘ok’ with the changes. There are days when it plays on my mind, but mostly I don’t notice it too much. My advice would be to seek emotional support if you find the changes difficult to cope with. You can phone the Macmillan support line on 0808 808 00 00 where a friendly adviser will happily talk to you and offer you any emotional support that is available to you. 

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery afterwards. 

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi   thank you for that and I hope you continue to recover.  I am just at the stage of coming to terms with the surgery.  Its once surgery is over. Its awful just thinking about it.   I am not sure how to cope.  Speaking to macmillan Is ok but it's not the same.  As its getting closer I am just taking one day at a time .

• Hi ,

I think what you said about taking it one day at a time is very wise. I found some things to be worse than I anticipated and some to be better, so taking things as they arise seems to help. When I went for my second surgery I focused on each thing as it came and for me step one was making arrangements for hospital- childcare, travel arrangements and packing my bag etc and making sure I had plenty of comfortable clothes to wear post op. 

I know we are all different and our surgery outcomes are different, but for me it was difficult initially, but as I healed and things returned close to normal I found it easier. 

I found it easier to talk to friends and family as time went on. It slowly became more ‘normal’ and easier to do. If you would like to talk to someone face to face then you could see what support is available in your area by clicking here. Whilst I appreciate it won’t make things ok, it helps for some people. I have a Macmillan Center at a local hospital where I could see an advisor face to face.

I wish there was something more I could say or do. Please do know that we are all here to support you though. If you want to talk any time just write back to me on here or send me a message  

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi there,  hope you had a relaxing weekend.  So I have to go into isolation from Wednesday, cannot leave the house until I have my Covid test then Surgery.  I understand you are starting the next stage of your treatment in a few days and hope you are ok.  It may be a weird question but what underwear do you manage to wear in view of the surgery? How long was it before you went out?  So just going to do one day at a time until I have the surgery. Still not sure how to get to the next stage but must try to stop thinking about it. 

Oh I was born in London and apparently spent my early years being pushed around in a pram in the area by the Hospital.  A London Girl and now an East London Girl.  What about you?   Take Care.

• Hi  this must seem like a really stupid question but what underwear do I wear after.  I am going to wear a long skirt to go to hospital in and will wear it to come home but don't imagine that regular knickers will be comfortable.  Any ideas?

Do I come home without underwear on? As you can see Today I am concentrating on Packing for the Hospital.

Do you know if I need to take my own towels.  Yep stupid questions xxx