Vulvar Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I have an auto immune disease called Lichen Planus, there is no cure and doctors do not know how someone get it.  Well i have it down in my vagina area.  This disease predisposes one to vular cancer.

Last August a biopsy was done and it came back cancerous so I had to undergo surgery last October and had to have my clitoris removed DisappointedI had been in so much pain with burning and itching that I didn't have sex for quite a few years anyway. But its still a sad thing.  He also removed 3 lymph nodes on each side of my groin to make sure it hadn't spread.

I was supposed to have an in office visit at the 3 month mark but the office called and changed it to a zoom! So I booked in office for my 6 month mark (a little earlier actually cuz I didn't like that he didn't see how I was healing.)  So he looks at it and says its back  OMG, I have surgery next Tuesday May 4th to remove the rest of my labia, and I am sure to test more lymph nodes.

I am just in a nightmare, because it can come back again even after the next surgery - I am terrified.

• Hi desperate in Cali. I don't have the same cancer as you, so I have no personal experience, but I didn't want to leave your post unanswered. 

I am so sorry that you have been told that the cancer has come back so soon after your first surgery. I am not at all surprised that you are  scared about the next surgery and the fear that it might come back. The good news is that the lymph nodes came back clear.  

I wish you all the very best for the surgery next week.  I hope someone will be along soon to share their experience with you.

Take care x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, I am so sorry you are going through this again already. I completely understand your worries as I experience them myself, but we must keep reminding ourselves that for some people it doesn’t keep returning. I have everything crossed that you remain cancer free after this op xx

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi, I have been having VIN3 for a couple of years and had surgeries 5 times so far, they just keep coming back in 4 months after surgery. My cause of VIN3 is HPV, but I also was told by doctor that my body can not fight against HPV somewhat. I have never heard about Lichen Planus, how did you find out you have that? and did you have any test for that?  I also lost all my labia due to pre cancer cells. Now I may have cancer in my urethra area. I will have surgery for that too. I know how much pain you have after surgery, yes that is a nightmare!              

Hope everything is going to be good with surgery. 

Kuma

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kuma

Hi Kuma,

About a month after my son was born I started itching and burning down there. So I went to my OB/GYN and he took a look and said that I had Lichen Planus.  He have me a steroid cream to use and the itching, burning went away.  After that I would maybe have an episode one or twice a year and the burning itching went away.  Years later when I started going through menopause the symptoms worsened - it was constant, I was sent to dermatologists and gynecologists and no one had anything to make it better.  The last Gynecologist sent me to a gynecologist oncologist and for the first few visits he also thought it was just the Lichen Planus.  Finally he did a biopsy in office and confirmed the Lichen Planus and tested for cancer as well.  He was surprised as I was when the results came back positive.  So I had the first surgery in October and now I have cancer again.  The only thing left to remove is the rest of my labia, hopefully I don't get it in my urethra.

My doctor told me that chemo and radiation aren't really used for this cancer which is good because I do not want chemo.

I have never hear the term VIN until I saw this group.  I will pray that you don't have any cancer and won't need anymore surgery.  I will post an update after my surgery next week.

Cathy.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to vulval cancer warrior

Thank you Lost, I hope you get all your answers and that you get strong and healthy.

Cathy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to chellesimo

Thank you Chellesimo, I just hope the lymph nodes come back clear again - fingers crossed.

• Thank you! You too and good luck with your operation next week. There must be some success stories out there, so let’s hope we can join them xx

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm