Tried to put off posting for as long as I could

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 29 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hello ladies - as you may have gathered I am new here. I really wanted things to go better but I fear they are going down hill. So I am here looking for some support. Last May after a few appointments with my Gyn Doctor (I'm in the states), I finally got her to biopsy spots that I was worried about. And they came back VIN3. So off I went to the doctor I had seen at Hopkins for a bad Pap smear about a year before. She'd cleared me after I had a conal biopsy. All was good. Except now in May I had these white spots on my vulva. Well I finally got an appointment at Johns Hopkins (which is considered a fairly elite hospital). I went to see her and it was confirmed that I had VIN3. She started me on Aldara (the generic). She had me do 2x a week for 12 weeks. I did as told but got very disturbed that all the literature says 3x week for 16 weeks. Since I had a few extra packets I started about mid way to increase the number of times per week to 3 times. I literally could not do it at night. If I did it at night I could not sleep. I work and have children so there's no way I could function. So I started to do it on days I telework and the weekend. I would put it on in the middle of the day, wear a dress so I wouldn't have to have anything touch the area and then wash it off about 8 hours later. It helped to keep myself busy. I figured it couldn't be any worse than doing it at night because I always get up to use the bathroom doing the night anyhow. Well things were looking great about 2 weeks ago, but then this week I noticed a new spot! On my clitoris. I am so upset. I really thought I would be home free but the original spot seems to have come back and now a new one. I go back to see the doctor on the 7th of October. I am upset that her dosage was wrong and worry that she's not doing things correctly. Things are going to get very busy at work, so I don't have tons of time now to have surgery. The spots are little. But still they are there. I think surgery is probably the best way to go. My body seems to have a love affair with HPV. I've had problems with regular warts on my hands and face and now VIN (which I know is caused by HPV 16/18).  On top of all of this - I also had thyroid cancer 3 years ago and wonder if losing my thyroid might have helped HPV escape my immune system. Any advice would be helpful. I am very depressed about the sequence of events. Should I find a new doctor! How urgent is this?  Anything. Thanks ladies, Donna. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh thank you to everyone who has replied back. I didnt even know I had replies!!

Monday is now fast approaching and I am not having the vin surgery whatever they tell me.  Will see how they take that! In my own head no point as the hpv virus will make it come back elsewhere down there.

I find it madness that each NHS hosp has their own policy on what to do and none seem consistent with their treatment.

Maisie thanks for the consultants details I have tracked down an email for her and figure I have nothing to lose so am emailing her!   

Will be asking Monday for blood tests to check my b12 etc and will update then.

Thank you everyone xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jane 45

Actually no. I've accepted that a high percentage of people have HPV. Had I not had an uncomfortable area which was improved by surgery I would never have known that I had VIN anyway. I always try to eat well and avoid stress, but honestly that's  been hard. I lost my daughter and this year lost my daughter in law to a particularly awful cancer. As well as lots of other stuff going on, it has been hard to avoid stress. I  just make sure to get my husband to check me over thoroughly from time to time. I comfort myself by remembering that just because I have a pre cancerous condition it does not always follow that it will change to cancer

• FormerMember

Really pleased to hear this. She is an expert and I am sure will give you 100% honesty of your own issues. Fingers crossed for you and please keep us posted!

• FormerMember

Hello Snowystars and everyone Slight smile

I am new here having recently been diagnosed with VIN2 and VIN3 following an excision biopsy in July.  I've been referred to the vulva clinic but still awaiting my appointment...so I'm in a similar position to yourself and I was wondering, after reading the whole of this thread how your recent appointment went, and also, did you receive a reply from the consultant Maisie recommended?

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,  how are you? Hope it all got sorted  xx

• FormerMember

Hi Private Bits (love the name!)

I haven't got anything sorted as yet - still waiting for my appointment to come through!  How are you?

I got a message after yours yesterday that seems to have been deleted (think it was from Jane??) and I did manage to see it before it disappeared and I have requested to join the group (FB) - are you a member there?  

Thank you to whoever messaged me yesterday with the information which I have acted on Slight smile

• I’ve private messaged you. So glad you’ve joined the group xx

• FormerMember

Hi aftertherain,  yes I joined the FB group.  Jane 45 suggested it, I think it is easier to use.   xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello donna, I was diagnosed with vulvar cancer in 2015 and have had operations to remove vin3 every 3 to 4 months. My body also has for some reason decided to let the hpv live comfortably instead of fighting it. 
    I sincerely hope that things start looking up for you. I wish I could help with how to feel better but every time I have an operation it’s like a piece of my confidence is being cut away. A lot of the time it feels very lonely because your trapped by your own thoughts that can fester if you let them. Try to remain positive it’s really hard sometimes but get it treated as soon as possible x