Waiting for results

• 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I had a WLE for SCC nearly 4 weeks ago and although the wound is well healed I still haven't had a post op appointment to examine me, tell me the results from my surgery or give me a treatment plan.

I'm feeling very let down and am returning to work tomorrow as if nothing ever happened.

I phoned my oncology nurse last week to express my feelings and apparently even if the results came back my consultant is on holiday for a couple of weeks. Surely it doesn't have to be specifically him that I see.

If the margins weren't clear I want to get on with it. I also haven't a clue how regularly I'll be seen.

At least when I'm back to work I won't be thinking about it so much.

• Hi ,

I am so sorry that you have been left without a plan. I can only imagine how difficult it must feel to move forward without your results.

I wasn't offered an appointment to examine my wound after surgery. I am not sure if that was due to COVID restrictions or is standard practice. I did however have a plan to receive my results.

I have read that there are delays in getting biopsy results to some people, but again a plan would probably help. It may be worth considering contacting your nurse again to express the continued worry and frustration this is causing and explore whether there any other options to receive your results in your consultants absence. She may be able to tell you how often you will be seen, so it is worth asking. I have found that if my nurse can't answer something then she will try to get the answer for me.

I hope you're able to get some answers soon.

Take care,

Vulval cancer warrior xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Margeo, I know how you feel. I am now 2 weeks post up after WLE and excision of sentinel node.  I was told 2-3weeks I would be sent an appointment.  I guess we have Easter in the meantime so that may slow things down a little.  I'm not worrying as had to see my GP last Friday with a fungal infection I developed in my groin.  Was given cream for this and District nurse have me irrigation fluid to wash with.  The waiting is awful, but I've decided to take one day at a time and concentrate on getting back to normal (whatever that is now!).  I still feel very strange below and very difficult to look at myself when I apply the antifungal cream.  I'm 74 and single and really cannot imagine ever being in a relationship again, but I have my little dog to keep me company as well as good friends.   I hope you hear soon and your mind is put at rest (mine too!!) Sandyann. xx