Vaginal cancer

• 18 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi 

I’ve just had word that my biopsy has cancerous cell in in.  I have a lump in my vaginal wall that I have had for about 6 weeks. 
so scared. 
in going for mri scan and ct scans in the next few weeks. Any advice 

• Hi genie girl

Thanks for your reply. Yes, 2022 has been a bit of a year for me. Good luck with your treatment.

Sarah is an excellent source of information re the surgery you mentioned. 

Take care and best wishes

Amanda x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi sarah. 

just read your profile and First way want to say how asking it is that your currently NED after what you have been through. 

I was diagnosed in jan this year with a SCC tumor between the vaginal and bowel wall. It’s invaded both and has affected local lymph nodes. I also have 2 possible peritoneal mets. They aren’t sure if these are related but won’t know until they biopsy them. 

Im Stage 4 and was told the treatment was palliative. I responded well to the first 3 months of chemo and have just finished month 6. 

They haven’t planned another full scan, instead have scanned my pelvis and marked me up for chemo/radio stating in September. 

im currently having a few weeks off to let my body recover but my anxiety is through the roof. 

the main reason being is that the vaginal discharge/leaking that I’ve always had (which led me to the GP and still took 6 months for them to refer me) has increased massively over the past week. 

no blood, no pain, just excess leaking to the ping where it leaked through my jeans. 

I rang the hospital on Friday but they weren’t concerned. 

I was wandering if you’d ever experienced this or heard of anyone who has. 

many thanks kerrie

• Hi 

I’m sorry to read what you’ve been going through, but it’s great news that your response to chemo has been good. 

Are you having a different chemo with the radiation treatment when you start that? 

Discharge was certainly one of my symptoms prior to my diagnosis, but mine was cervical cancer rather than vaginal so I don’t know if that makes a difference in terms of discharge and leaking. Radiotherapy stopped my bleeding, and I can’t say I was aware of a discharge when I was going through chemorads so maybe it stopped? I can’t actually remember as it was 4 years ago now.

When you are doing the chemorads, you should hopefully have a weekly review with your consultant and that would be the best place to bring it up. I saw my consultant once a week at the radiotherapy clinic for a chat to go over how I was feeling, and to check for any side effects so they could provide pills or potions to help. I hope you’ll have a similar arrangement.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi sarah

yws I believe that is the plan. I’ve had a list of dates with appt times and once a week it says doctor review which is what they mentioned. 
    my meeting seems such a blue now as there was so much discussed. At the beginning g I used to make notes after my appts but I’ve forgotten the last 2 times as it’s been positive. 

they said the leaking may worsen during treatment so wasn’t expecting it to be this bad before it started. 

Yes having a different drug when I do the chemorad, which is a slight worry as the ones I’ve had have worked, but I’ve been reassured this is ok x

• Hi Kerrie

Right-that’s exactly the same plan as I had for a weekly review. It’s really hard to take everything in at appointments. I missed loads but had my partner there for an extra pair of ears! 

Is it Cisplatin along with the radiotherapy? Usually it’s a low dose of that to enhance the effects of the radiotherapy, but radiotherapy is a big hitter of tumours, so they know what they’re doing. Hopefully it will help with the leaking. I still have a slight discharge even though I don’t even have a vagina, but they don’t seem concerned so I just have to put up with it and still wear a liner every single day and night. I didn’t know that would be a thing! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Sorry to hear that you are unwell and waiting for results. I also felt better after I was told it was cancer? I sailed through that chemo 10 years ago but this time I reacted very badly! They are offering me the half dose to try and give me a year to live. I sometimes bleed from my vagina which is scary because I had the full hysterectomy. I also have cancer from the omentum. But if I only have one year then I will try and make the most of it!

• Hi 

I think you might have meant to reply to , as I’m not waiting for any results. Now I’ve tagged her, she should see your post. I’m so sorry to read of your own difficulties, and hope that a reduced dose will help keep you stable. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi 

I just noticed your other post in the new to the community group and see you had ovarian cancer and are now going through recurrence, Microscopic cancer cells from the original cancer can linger and return, which is why the ovarian cancer can recur somewhere else. I don’t have a cervix any longer but could still have a recurrence of cervical cancer somewhere else if cells are still there in my system. What a blow it must have been for you to have to go through more. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum