Now what?

• 16 replies
  • 17 subscribers

I have started several posts already, and given up. It feels like there are so few people with this type of cancer that no one will see this, or even have the same issues.

None of the stuff I need to talk about is ‘socially acceptable’ as it includes ‘rude’ words.

I feel changed by what I’ve been through. I am changed. I am now pretty much friends with my husband- I can’t imagine having sex when I’ve had that “mass” even though it is now “unmeasurable”. I’ve been so damaged by radiotherapy that I pretty much spent six weeks in the bathroom, and am now on enough anti-diarrhoea medication to kill a horse. I just recently started with my dilation kit, and the whole idea fills me with revulsion.

I know everyone has struggled this year, but I don’t think I’ve really acknowledged any of this. The chemo stopped by the Covid crisis. The six weeks of radiotherapy with a face mask on. Never mind the treatment itself. When I finished radio, they said I’d feel better in a couple of weeks. My friend said more like 18 months. I think I believe her.

I’m very, very grateful for the treatment I’ve had. It was given with kindness and compassion, and it seems to have worked. They won’t say I’m cured, because I guess they don’t do that. I know I should be celebrating, but truth be told, I don’t dare! Suppose it comes back? 

I have seen the Macmillan psychologist, and she pronounced me fine now. I don’t feel it. I don’t feel like myself, but I’m not crying or anything (I can’t, I take too much Sertraline). I think she’s right, and I need to work it out for myself. I don’t want to dwell on it, but I want to feel better, more like me. But I don’t know who that is. If I’m a woman (I’m 58) who isn’t going to have a full relationship with my husband, is that fair? Or will it get better in time, and I’ll feel more human? 

• Carol, you are a star! And Debbie, I hope you're doing well. Carol, you really have a great attitude about everything, which is the best way to cope, I think. You are all inspirational!

• Hi 

i just wanted uk say hi. I see your post is a couple of years old now but wanted to see how you were doing. 
    im 37 and my future is looking pretty bleak. Which is hard with a 3 and 6 year old. Life is tough, I’m not who I used to be in so many ways. People keep saying keep positive but some days it feels impossible. 

Hope you’ve managed to find find normality somewhere 

• Hi Ker25

Sending you a huge hug. It is hard to keep positive when your facing something as huge as this. Others don't know what to say to you and when they do its so easy to take offence as they haven't had to face what your going through. 

I am just waiting for my 6 month scans, but this is where I got to last time and then had to go through it all again but worse. So feeling a bit hesitant. 

Just take one day at a time, that's what helped me. If your having a down day just be kind to yourself and don't worry about the things that need doing  do too much. I hope you've got support around you especially as its hard work having little ones too. 

Please contact me anytime

X

• Thank you for your kind words and sorry for the delay. 
    mom just coming to the end of chemo radiation and I can’t wait for it to be over. After this I get a break from treatment to allow it to do it’s job. 
    must great as it means I get xmas off but it’s also such a worry as 3 months is a long time. 
    need to try and tune my focus to something non cancer related. 
    xx

• Hi Ker

I'm.nearly 4 years post treatment...there have been a few bumps in the road along the way...but at present...life is good...I know your cancer situation is different to mine..mine was just vaginal which hadn't breached into any other surrounding organs...

There aren't many of us about on here with vaginal cancer...so here you need to chat..

Xx Shelley 

• Hi Ker25

Sorry to read that you've been going through such a difficult time. Try and relax now that you have a break from treatment. Three months does seem like a long time but chemoradiotherapy continues to do it's work for many months afterwards. Have a lovely Christmas with your family x