Chemo not working no suitable other treatment

• 4 replies
  • 5 subscribers

I’ve received the news that after 3 chemos the chemo I have been on is not working and the only other chemo treatment option has under 10% chance of working and would likely be dangerous. The alternative is no more treatment. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience and had to make a decision like this about their future.

thank you 

• I  so sorry to hear this  my husband had the same  3 treatment cycles of chemo and did not work. Radiotherapy didnt help either just made him more weak. If i had the time again knowing what we knew (but didnt want to accept  ) that time was limited i would have told him to stop any more treatment and just enjoy the time left. He did have a good 6 weeks after stopping treatment where we could do things ,you cling to hope that treatments are going to help but i will say  i wish we had stopped it earlier and just lived in the moment instead of not accepting what we knew was coming. Speak to your family and put everything you want in place. I am so sorry you have to go through this but wish we had accepet it and talked about it.  I nearly didnt reply as dont want to upset you  but not many people in this group .

I hope this helps you a little in making your decision.

Once again so sorry you are going through this.

• Thank you so much for your message to me. I am so so sorry for the loss of your husband and hope that you are making a recovery. Hopefully the great memories you have are giving you comfort. I have decided not to go ahead with any further chemo and am focusing on quality if life I feel grateful to have a good palliative care team. It was a hard decision to make but I was was support by my family and consultant. I am going home to day with hope. Again thank you so much for reaching out to me as it has supported my decision. All the best to you and your family. Sarah 

• Hi Sarah, I am pleased it has helped a little in your decision, i do think you have made the right choice. Enjoy the time with your family and i wish you all the best and hope you get a decent amount of time with them all. Carol x

• Hi Carol thank you again for your message, I am at home now and it’s wonderful and peaceful to be here. I am feeling contented. Wishing you all the best for the future. 
    Sarah