Is CUP always an ‘aggressive’ cancer?

• 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

Hi all,

I have been told that my CUP, which originated in the head and neck are, is a very aggressive one. I had a very large cyst removed from my neck, which they variously described as having ‘lost its identity’ (which made me think of storms on the Shipping Forecast) and of being indeterminate. I understood this to mean that the cyst/tumour cells didn’t resemble any from organs. When reading peoples’ stories, I’m trying to gauge whether everyone has to contend with the quick regrowth of tumours etc. or whether this is on a case by case basis.

My neck tumour wasn’t completely removed as it had stuck itself to my carotid artery, so they decided to stitch what remained of the tumour to the surrounding skin and I have an open wound exposing the cancer. During my first (and only, so far), my husband (who does the dressings) said that it had shrunk and the fluid that it produces virtually stopped during chemo but it’s now merrily making fluid again and feels like it’s growing (I can also smell the cancer fluid - it’s very distinctive).  

So,  is every CUP aggressive due to the heavy mutation of the secondary sites that prevent tracing it back to the primary or does it depend?

thanks

• Hi

I can't help with your question, but I noticed that you hadn't had any replies to your post yet.

This might be a good one to post in the ask a nurse section of the online community. If you'd like to do this, clicking on the link I've created will take you to the nurses who will aim to reply within 3 working days. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"