Viral infection after chemo and surgery

• 5 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi everyone, so I was diagnosed with TNBC in October last year and have since had 6 months of chemo, paclitaxel, carboplatin and pembrolizumab then EC followed by a lumpectomy which had clear margins and no lymph node involvement but I have now managed to get an infection with an irritating cough, also sometimes productive (sorry for tmi)! I’ve two lots of antibiotics but they don’t seem to have touched the sides.also can leave me breathless at times.  I’m due to start radiotherapy this week so a bit concerned but my BC nurse said they will do an oxygen test but radiotherapy would still go ahead. Also had clear X-ray in my pre op assessment back in June. Has anyone else been in this situation? I’m worried but trying to stay calm if that makes sense!! 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you have a viral infection and I hope you're beginning to feel better.

I didn't experience this but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

I hope your radiotherapy goes ahead as planned.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi there

Sorry to hear that you have been struggling with a cough although having had 2 lots of antibiotics. Has your oncologist considered reducing your dose? Admittedly I've had a similar experience and also caught a viral infection. The cough and phelgm lasted for a good 2 months, with 1 course of antibiotics, but did eventually go. I hear how anxious you are, it never stops does it. I think that it could be down to the chemo and your immune system being so depleted. All the best with your radiotherapy. Jx

• Hi TNBC24, my chemo has finished already back in May 2024. My oncologist requested a CT scan and all was “ok” although they could obviously see something whether inflammation etc possibly caused by the Pembrolizumab and said maybe steriods would help to get rid but they wanted to refer me to a respiratory dr who I saw today. He has recommended that I have a camera, biopsy, flush of my lungs before just giving steriods so this will happen after radiotherapy which I am currently having. Suppose at least they are being thorough but is sending my brain into overdrive!! 

• Hi there

Yeah it does sound as they are being very thorough, but as you understandably feel all these issues aren't helping with your anxiety. I hope that you are able to find some me time and do some nice activities to distract yourself. J

• Hi TNBC24, thank you for replying and I’m literally going to distract myself exactly as you’ve said. I have lots of housework to catch up on and will watch whatever if can find on the telly! Hope you are ok and take care xx