RAI and isolation time

• 18 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hello all, 

I am going to have RAI treatment tomorrow. The 3.7 dose. The staff seemed very laid back and said I can see my 3 children again by Saturday/Sunday. 
I’ve read so many other hospitals/advice saying so much more, so I wanted to find out peoples personal experiences and what their yellow card said when they left hospital. I will be having a 2 night stay so out on Wednesday. 

• It’s all about how quickly you get the radioactivity out of your system.  The timing you describe sounds similar to mine.  I advise drinking pretty constantly, (take in things you like) having several showers each day  and sucking sweets and chewing gum to protect your salivary glands. Good luck! 
  • Thank you for your reply. I have just took the tablet! Now the waiting game! 

• Hi hope it's going OK I'm waiting on results from thyroidectomy to see if I need rai. I have been told its most likely.

• I had the tablet around 330pm. I am feeling ok. No side effects as of yet. Fingers crossed I wake up in the morning feeling well. 
    I will keep you updated. Feel free to message me if you want to chat, sounds like we are both going through this at a similar time! 

• Hi how long after surgery did you get check up and rai. My surgery was nearly 3 weeks ago. They said about 4 weeks for check up still waiting for appointment. Hope it's  still going OK for you.

• It took a while. It was a lot longer than 4 weeks. They advised that we are often told 4 weeks but with the delays it’s always longer. I had my TT at the end of March. So it’s taken a while to get the radioiodine treatment. Keep chasing them and checking. I regularly chased. The hospital I had my TT at didn’t have radioiodine rooms so I am receiving my radioiodine at a different hospital so that could have put a delay to mine also. 
    How are you feeling? 

• I'm OK thank you just want to know if I'm having iodine treatment as I also have melanoma skin cancer which I had surgery for last year I did start prevention tablets which has been on hold to sort out thyroid. Not sure if it's worth going back on tablet as it's only a small benefit and had side effects.  My melanoma consultants wants scans but his waiting for my thyroid check up. His going to ring me next Wednesday so if I don't hear anything by then he might chase it up. How long were you on calcium tablets for. Its says gp to review so I guess I will have to contact for blood tests. 

• Bless you. Yes he might be able to chase it all for you. Fingers crossed 
    I was on calcium for only a few weeks. Luckily it seems that my parathyroid glands did not get too damaged during surgery. When I left hospital they gave me a blood form with a date on that my GP needed to take my bloods. They were all ok at the check up so I stopped the calcium.  

• They gave me a blood form and I went back to same hospital a few days after I was discharged as that's what they told me to do. They never contacted me but I saw results on patient portal and calcium was just OK  and parathyroid was still low. Sorry for going on a bit.

• I am not 100% sure but I think you will need your calcium checked again. I would check that again with your consultant. Definitley do not apologise. It’s such a scary time. I keep asking question after question as I just want to make sure everything is right. That’s why I joined up to this forum to chat to people who are going through similar experiences.