“Unusual” scan - anyone else had similar?

• 4 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I posted a while ago because I’d found a new lump I was worried about (had TT last October and radioiodine in January for PTC)…my scan showed the lump is just a normal lymph node reacting to all the viruses I’ve had…so huge relief there….BUT….it has also showed a large area of fluid which the radiographer said they might need to biopsy if it gets bigger. I was very confused so waited for my consultant appointment today expecting to feel reassured…instead he told me “I’m not going to lie to you, this is very unusual “…not the reassuring words I wanted to hear!! He said it could be a post operative fluid build up which just hasn’t been re absorbed but he didn’t seem convinced. It doesn’t have any calcification or suspicious features but he is still treating it as potentially suspicious…he said because it is very unusual he is keeping an open mind. So another scan and possible biopsy in September. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? 

I’ve had about a month of feeling really good after the RAI scan results and now I’m back to worrying Rolling eyes. I thought fluid was almost always fine but my consultant was noticeably cautious today (he’s usually very upbeat, confident and reassuring). 

Hoping I’m not alone in unusual presentations! X

• Hi  

I'm not a member of this forum but do understand how worrying it can be when something out of the ordinary presents.

I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet so responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Sending virtual ((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Mbow,

Sorry you've got a worrying time now from your most recent scan and have to wait til September for more scans! The waiting is just awful. I saw your post but as I couldn't help I left it for others with more relevant experience to reply. I hope you get some advice soon x

Medullary Thyroid Cancer dx May 2023

• Thank you latchbrook and K9crazy! I think I was clutching at straws that someone would say they experienced the same but in hindsight it seems unlikely! I’m trying to park my worrying so I can enjoy the summer with my kids then we’ll see what September’s scan brings. 

I hope you’re both doing ok x

• That sounds like a good plan  

Hopefully your kids will keep you occupied Slight smile

I'm very well, thanks for asking, just have to have annual mammograms and twice yearly Zometa infusions.... the latter to help prevent spread to my bones.

Enjoy your summer Sun with face 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"