Papillary cancer - operation questions questions questions

• 7 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, I am new here. I was diagnosed on Monday with Papillary cancer and have got my operation on 26th March. Very thankful it is being dealt with so quick. I am looking at a likely full thyroid removal and then RIA later on. My questions are:

RECOVERY - Initially my doctor said 2 weeks off work, when I told him I was a personal trainer he quickly said minimum 4 weeks....from what I have read the fatigue seems really intense so 4 weeks would seem realistic? 

SLEEP - Post op I imagine it might be difficult to get comfortable to sleep...does anyone have any advice, I thought about getting a V shaped maternity pillow?! 

EXERCISE - I do like to stay active and go to the gym. Obviously all lifting is out of the question for some time. How long was it until you felt ready to get out for a walk?

DRIVING - I read it's 2 weeks until you can drive again - is this realistic?

Any other advice would be welcome, I have 2 kids age 12 & 9 so just trying to get my head around what's to come so they can stay in routine as much as possible. Slight smile

• Hello, 

I had two operations as the biopsies were inconclusive but suggestive of cancer. My turned out to be Hurtle Cell. 
    the first hemithyroidectomy 13/11/2024 went well.Day case surgery. Minimal pain but I still had some analgesia for the first week. Mine was a day case and I was told 2 weeks off work. I felt very tired so took three weeks but I am in my 50s with a mainly sedentary job. I probably should have taken 4 weeks.

The second operation (22/01/2024) again was not very painful and went well. I was kept in due to low calcium, I’m a nurse and don’t rest well in a hospital ward, so I was more tired when I got home.

I have been exhausted this time which I think is due to the Levothyroxine. I went back to work after 6 weeks on reduced hours and finding it difficult to stay awake sone days. 
    It varies so much from person to person. Also it’s the mental stress from the diagnosis. I’m only starting to deal with that.

I think the dr was realistic re timings with you. Are you have just half of your thyroid removed? 

I was strict with not lifting as I didn’t want to add to my natural wrinkles!

Driving was ok both times as long as I wasn’t too tired.

Hopefully one of the younger members can give you some advice also.

I hope all goes well for you. I have found the forum helpful and hope you do too. 

take care 

• Hi! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also have papillary cancer - had a full thyroidectomy and neck dissection (removal of lymph nodes as mine had spread) in October - recovery from the operation itself was smooth - discomfort and tiredness of course but a quicker recovery than the C section I had 2 years earlier! However, I don’t think the doctors advice takes into consideration the medication side of things. I could have gone back to work after 4 weeks if it was just about the op, but my levothyroxine took months to sort and until then I just couldn’t do anything. That’s certainly not the case for everyone but might just be worth bearing in mind you don’t know how your body will respond to that side of things. Also many people have issues with calcium due to parathyroids being affected (more common in neck dissection I believe). If all goes smoothly and you adjust to meds well then 4 weeks could be possible but you may need to give yourself a lot longer. 

Sleep wise I was ok just with lots of pillows but you’ll most likely want to prop yourself up somehow.

Driving, a couple of weeks definitely realistic. 

Really hope it all goes well - wishing you all the best Blush

• Thank you so much for your response. I have been told it is likely they will take my whole thyroid. They suspect it has spread onto my strap muscles, if so they need to take the whole thyroid. Personally I feel like I want it all out because the more I read the more it seems people are having half out then later the other half. But until I wake from the operation I won't know what they have taken I guess! Thank you so much for your advice, it's really helpful.

• Thank you for your reply. It's really helpful when you can read other peoples experiences, the fatigue seems to be the common theme as you adjust to the meds. Like you said I don't think the doc takes that into account. I am usually quite active and on the go, out most evenings taxi driving my children everywhere so I think this is going to be a big shock to my system!! Mine hasn't spread to lymph nodes so that may make my op slightly different to yours but your advice is really helpful. Thank you :) 

• Hey!

I had follicular but can share experience (I had Hemi then total) both times took 4 weeks. They said 2 weeks to me but you don't realise how much you rely on you neck strength and turning!

I personally got tired with carrying a shopping bag of food so really we are all different but considering your physical job that's probably why 4 weeks advice.

Sleep- yes v- shaped pillow for the win! If I could have I would have slept on my recliner XD I personally had a travel neck pillow for the car ride home.

Driving- I started driving probably 2.5-3 weeks after, I basically waited till I can turn my head enough to look in blind spots without too much pain (my scar was probably a bit higher than the average which restricted a bit more). As for the doctor they just said when you feel comfortable to do an emergency stop.

Other tips would be, the first week take it easy, I loved ice-cream and soft food like mash etc. When I felt a bit less sensitive around there I tried to do stretches looking up,down to the side and ear to the shoulder not pulling too hard but it can help things not go too stiff when healing. After the first week I tried to do small things even if just walking to the corner shop and back to build up stamina each day.

For the scar it'll depend on the surgeon but I basically allowed it to scab and fall off and once it did I began to use SPF (before that I wore light scarves to protect)

If it is total and you use levothyroxine that everyone experiences differently but getting into a routine of taking it (I bought a pill box and cut the packet up singularly to make sure I don't forget!)

Hope that helps :)

• Oh and as for in the family if you normally go to the supermarket a home delivery might be worth it the first few weeks!

• This is great advice, thank you! I will go buy the pillow this week. My recovery has coincided with the kids off school for 2 weeks easter holiday - typical! But thankfully I have a good support network so I can take that first week really easy. 

Good shout for online shopping!! Might even do a hello fresh order too xx