Biopsy results

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi all. I hope you don’t mind me posting, I’m hoping somone could help put my mind at ease that’s familiar with the biopsy/follow up stage.

abit of back ground: I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism back  in 2012 was put on beta blockers ect and slowly my levels were brought back down, from then on I was bouncing up and down between hypo and hyperthyroid, This continued for years. 
6 years ago I had enough and went into the doctor asking for my thyroid to be removed because I can’t stand the feeling of being strangled anymore. 
She done bloods as she needed to prove my thyroid was autoimmune related rather than postpartum (after my second child) I have other autoimmune problems so it would make sense this is the likely cause. 
the bloods came back with anti thyroid antibodies and I was diagnose with Hashimoto’s disease. 
Fast forward as covid seemed to put all appointments on hold, I went back April last year and explained I’m still waiting to be seen and was referred to ENT. 
I finally had an ENT appointment in October and the consultant said my thyroid was bilaterally swollen he sent me for an ultra sound. 
during the scan the radiologist said my thyroid didn’t look like a hashi thyroid but the top was ‘shockingly different to the bottom’ he done a FNA and told me my results would be back 7/10 days, a week later I was called back in to undergo a core needle biopsy (no ideas why) no one could tell me if it was the FNA was non diagnostic or not. 
again I was told 7/10 days for results this was the 29th December, the wait is killing me I have pestered the secretary’s for the results to no avail, I was then sent a appointment where I have been referred to the ENT consultant surgeon for the 26th of this month. Then today they called and said they had been asked to move it forward to the 19th of this month. 
now my brain is in overdrive and I don’t know what to expect, I don’t want to not worry because I can imagine being given bad news hits much harder when you haven’t considered it, but also I’m so worried it’s driving me mad. How have you guys felt with the wait, and is this normal procedure or should I perpair myself for possibly bad news xx 

• Hey Kirsty,

The wait is absolutely the worst because you have thoughts of hearing the worst etc and it's understandable as you've been referred to a surgeon which means they probably want to operate.

I do know receptionist is not allowed to tell anyone results though, if it was a thyroid nurse it's different but mine wouldn't tell me so I knew it was definitely cancerous and appointment was made with surgeon in a diff clinic for him to be able to tell me face to face.

Best of luck to you and I hope you get surprised with just what you wanted in the first place, let us know how you get on, big hugs with the wait it's truly is the worst xxx

• Thankyou it means a lot, I have a week to go but it’s going to be the longest week lol. I was going to ask if it’s not cancer are they allowed to tell you results then? I have called the medical secretary’s of the ENT consultants and asked if they can tell me, she did say she would ask for a letter to be written to me so it’s on file but then I have had the appointment moved forward today so I don’t know what to think x

• I believe the secretary still can't tell you tbh

Yeah if I was you I would probably be overthinking also. But maybe if she felt you are over anxious they just fitting you in early? Every hospital seems to work differently so.

I've got to wait until April 10th for my scan results to see if my treatment has worked and it really really sucks.