Papillary Thyroid Cancer with Lung Mets

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi there,

I’m 28 years old and I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer on 21st December 2023, from the biopsy they were able to see a spread to the lymph nodes at this time. I then had a CT scan which has shown nodes on my lungs which they highly suspect is also the cancer which has spread. 

I had a total thyroidectomy towards the end of January which I am recovering well from. Today I was reviewed by the oncology team and my RAI treatment is due to start towards the end of March. 

I’m worried about how effective the RAI will be on the lung mets and was wondering if anyone has any experiences with this that they could share? To be honest, I think I am probably worried and seeking reassurance. 

• Hi Abbey01, sorry to hear you've been diagnosed at such a young age and the CT is indicating possible spread. I'm glad to hear you're recovering well from your TT though. I'm sorry I can't help you with the RAI as I have Medullary TC which doesn't respond to it but hopefully by replying to your post it will bump it back up for someone who has more experience to see. This platform can be a bit slower than you're probably used to on the usual socials but believe me these members have a wealth of honest knowledge and experience to share, gained from actually going through these treatments themselves, so it's invaluable. Hopefully someone will be along soon who will be able to help more. I think I remember Pinkbluepurple being about your age with Papillary TC too, so maybe as I've mentioned her she might be able to reply. Let us know how you're getting along anyway and after your RAI in March x

• Hey Abbey,

I had RIA on 14th Feb and it went ok, I was due to get results on the 10th April at my next appointment but apparently they have now moved this to the 2nd may Sob

I just lost my voice and have been having achy pain in left side where my nodule was so rang consultant secretary and she is going to inform him and said he might want to see me earlier now then, soon as I know I'll let you know how the RIA went. I do know you can have two rounds of it though and they vary the strength of the radiation.

Hope all is well Relaxed