Vocal cord Paralysis after second thyroid surgery

• 14 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi everyone!

I am 28 years-old and on February I did a partial thyroidectomy to remove my left thyroid because of a big lump (4cm) that was diagnosed as benign on FNA. However, the pathology results came back as Follicular carcinoma. So, I had another surgery 3 months after to remove the rest of the thyroid, and for my surprise the also found a small papillary tumour.  

After the second surgery I have been problems with my voice, as I cannot project it and speak for long time. The doctor did the exam inserting the probe to see the vocal cords and in the side of the second surgery my vocal cord is paralysed. I am now 3-weeks after surgery and they already referred and have an arranged appointment to have a procedure done to inject something in the vocal cord next week.

I was wondering if this happened to somebody else and how soon was the treatment? I feel that it is soon to have another procedure done, specially because in 3 weeks I will do RAI.

Has somebody have the vocal cord paralysis that resolved without any treatment?

Thanks,

L

• Hello
    Lots of us have had the two-stage surgery that you describe.
    Most of us have had some voice impact in the early weeks but it tends to go back to normal after a few months.
    However, it sounds like your VC paralysis will need extra support. 
    I would sympathise with your concern to have the VC injected before RAI. The RAI is REALLY important and probably should take precedence. If you don't feel right having the injection first, please tell your doctor and ask if it can be delayed. I doubt that a delay would be a big issue - but of course you need to check with your medical team.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• I have vocal paralysis on one side of the vocal chords. I had the injection in the working side and it has changed my life. I asked how long it would last and was told 3 to 28 months and the same injection is still working 10 years later. 
    i also saw a speech therapist that helped together with the injection. 

• Can I just ask @Huzzah do you still have one side of your vocal cords paralysed or are your saying that the injection was in the working side but has helped your other side to work?  I am asking because I had paralysis of one side prior to my operation, and was told that it would probably not work again.  Since my operation my voice is very weak and although early days I am worried that it will not return to what it was even with one side paralysed.

• Hi petal

The tumour was on one side of the voice box and when the tumour was removed that side became paralysed as all the nerve endings were removed. The injection I had was in the working side of the voice box - it was explained as being similar to Botox so that the working side got fatter and could still touch the paralysed side that would enable note to talk. 
    i asked how long this would last and was told up to 18 months but it’s still working well after nearly 10 years. 
    it can still be hard to be heard in noisy environments but before the injection it was hard to hear me as voice was so deep and had little power. The injection had made an enormous difference to me. 

• Brilliant that it has lasted that long for you.  Thank you for your reply, I have my follow up appointment next week so will se what they say then.

• Hi Leticia,

I just wanted to reach out and say I’m literally in the same position! I had my hemi in June, zero problems. I had my completion 3 weeks ago and my left vocal chord is paralysed. I’m struggling with projecting my voice, no control over pitch (but I mostly sound really high pitched) and basic things like I can’t cough or clear my throat properly. It’s so frustrating and really scary as well, as the thought of potentially having this for life is scary.
    I have my post surgery follow up on Tuesday but I’m really intrigued to know how you get on too.

All the best, Rosie x 

• Hi Rosie,

I was in a similar situation and decided to postpone the vocal chord intervention for after RAI.

I felt that my voice started to improve slowly after 3-4 weeks from surgery and now I feel that is back to normal (it has been 3 months from my second surgery). Last week I went to the Voice clinic for the examination and they saw that my vocal chord is now moving normally, so in my case the paralysis was temporary. I was told that in some cases it can heal itself with time in a couple of months, and take up to 6 months. It's important to drink a lot of water to keep the throat hydrated.

I think they will refer you to the Voice clinic for routine examination and if needed there many procedures that can help improve the voice. 

I understand how frustrating this feels, and I am hoping that you too, have a temporary condition and it start getting better soon. 

Good luck with your journey!

All the best,

Leticia

• I also can't clear my throat and it is so frustrating, I can cough but I am coughing so noisily trying to clear my throat that it's embarrassing.  It makes you feel as though you can't breathe as well as you could, I do have asthma though.  I agree it is quite scary and I know what you mean about the thought it might be for life, just have to cross our fingers and hope not.  My post surgery follow up is on Thursday, would be interesting to know what you are told at yours @Rosie_x.  My vocal cord was paralysed prior to my operation, but my voice was normal, now it isn't but am hoping it corrects itself.  I had several scopes to check my cords both before and after the op, which showed that my good side was functioning, it's just the not being able to speak clearly, or loud enough and not being able to feel comfortable in that you can clear your throat.

• I’m sorry to hear you’re going through the same, I’m also asthmatic so I think that definitely contributes to the coughing struggles. I’ll let you know how it goes tomorrow Heart️

• Good luck for tomorrow fingers crossed they have a solution for you.