Inconclusive/inadequate biopsy

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

I had a biopsy of a thyroid nodule last week and was due to get the results today. The consultants secretary called first thing and said that the biopsy needed to be repeated. She was quite vague as to whether it was inconclusive or that it was an inadequate sample to test. I feel so stressed, I was prepared for the result today and now I don't know when the biopsy will be repeated or why it nee repeating. She said they wouldn't do a third but didn't know what would happen if the second comes back with the same result. I really want to speak to the consultant or give her questions to ask him but every time I ask something she just says she doesn't know or the consultant hasn't told her.  I'm conscious that I am probably being a massive pain to the secretary but I feel like I am back to square one stuck in limbo. It doesn't really help that we chose to pay privately with some inheritance my husband received and now we need to pay again for the biopsy to be repeated, so feel guilty that I have wasted my husband's money.

• Oh I'm so sorry to hear this Hammy, the waiting is just hideous and now you have to wait some more, of course that has knocked you. Please try not to feel guilty about the money, none of this is in your control. I hope you find out very soon when the next biopsy will happen. In the meantime be kind to yourself xx

• Hi and sorry to hear that you are not getting the answers you need. An inconclusive result from a biopsy is far from unusual so I hope your husband can reassure you there is no need for you to feel guilty. You are a private patient and of course it is ok to press the secretary to have the consultant explain in more detail the reason for the repeat biopsy. My experience is that you can often clear things up with a telephone conversation with the consultant without the formality of seeking a face to face consultation. It is in everyone's interests that your questions are answered and you feel as comfortable as you can. I hope thigs get easier for you.