Can you help me understand my biopsy result, please!

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Good evening,

Hope everyone is well.

I recently received my biopsy results. The results show a follicular neoplasm. Has anyone had this type of result? The doctor can't confirm if it is malignant or benign but mentioned that she will refer me to a ENT surgeon. Was hoping to get some input, on others with this type of result and what there outcome was.

Pathology report: Cellularity is scant, occasional grooves, irregular and overlapped nuclei. Diagnosis: Follicular Neoplasm

Ultrasound findings: the thyroid gland is atrophic and heterogeneous. The right lower lobe contains a solid, hypoechoic, smooth nodule with a few punctate echogenic foci, measuring 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.9 cm. TI-RADS 5.

Biopsy Ultrasound: same as above but mentions lobulated/irregular margins and no punctate foci.

Anyone had a follicular neoplasm with similar features and it turned out to be benign?  If it was malignant does anyone know which types of thyroid cancer it can be? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community but sorry that you needed to find us and join the club no-one wants to be a member of. I just dropped by and noticed you'd not had an answer yet. Whilst waiting for someone to reply from the Thyroid cancer group it might be an idea to Ask a Nurse but you might need to wait a day or two for a reply.

Although I had a different type of cancer, any cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster so you've discovered the right group to offer support.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thank you for your reply MrsBJH I appreciate the warm welcome.  I will take your advice and update my profile and also look into the other options you have mentioned.  Hope you're well. 

Thank you!

• Hi Jaypt,

Mine wasn't the same, I have papillary which spread into lymphnodes. But my cousin had something which sounds a little more similar to you. She had NIFTP, non invasive follicular neoplasm with papillary like nuclear features. She had a total thyroidectomy TT. And when examined the nodule was encapsulated with no spread so she didn't need Radioiodine RAI. That was a few years ago and she's getting on with life as normal,  just with a levothyroxine tablet in the morning,  same as me.

If you're being referred to an ENT surgeon hopefully that will happen quickly and they can fully explain your biopsy results. 

I hope all goes well for you and you get answers soon. 

Ps

This info below sort of describes hers:

THYROID CANCER
    Noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasms with papillary-like nuclear features (NIFTP) are similar to benign tumors

BACKGROUND

Thyroid cancer is one of the most rapidly increasing cancers in the United States and over 90% of cases are papillary thyroid cancer. More recently it has become increasingly recognized that there are many different subtypes of papillary thyroid cancer, and that each subtype displays unique cellular features, genetic mutations and clinical behavior. Follicular variant papillary thyroid cancer, a term that was originally used to describe papillary thyroid cancers composed primarily of spherical “follicles” as opposed to the finger-like “papilla” of classical papillary thyroid cancer, is a very common subtype of papillary thyroid cancer. Despite the high incidence of the follicular variant papillary thyroid cancer, it has become a controversial and confusing entity because some cases behave similar to benign thyroid nodules called follicular adenomas whereas other cases are more aggressive cancers and can spread throughout the body.

Adding to the confusion, the term noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasm with papillary-like nuclear features (NIFTP) was introduced two years ago to describe select slow growing and well- circumscribed cases of follicular variant papillary thyroid cancers. Unlike other forms of papillary thyroid cancer, NIFTP tumors do not seem to grow or spread, and consequently may be able to be treated like benign thyroid nodules. The purpose of the following study was to characterize the genetic make-up and clinical behavior of NIFTP tumors and to compare them to both benign tumors and more invasive forms of papillary thyroid cancer.

THE FULL ARTICLE TITLE:

Johnson DN et al 2018 Noninvasive follicular thyroid neoplasms with papillary-like nuclear features (NIFTPS) are genetically and biologically similar to adenomatous nodules and distinct from papillary thyroid carcinomas with extensive follicular growth. Arch Pathol Lab Med. Epub 2018 Mar 27. PMID: 29582677.