Appointment without biopsy result - normal?

• 7 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi all,

New to this journey and finding it stressful to say the least!

I had an ultrasound and biopsy a couple of weeks ago - they found I actually have two small (2cm) lumps on my left thyroid, one is a cyst and the other is “sinister”.

This week I was contacted by the thyroid team for an appointment early next week. When I asked if there was anything they could tell me over the phone, they said that my biopsy results haven’t come back yet but they’ve contacted pathology to say I’ll be in on Tuesday to make sure the results will be back by then. 

My question is - why might they be giving me an appointment before the biopsy has come back? Can they tell by the ultrasound alone that I’ll need some kind of treatment?

I’m trying not to drive myself crazy but it’s hard!!

Thanks for reading.

• Hi   and a warm welcome to the Online Community. I just dropped by and noticed you've not had a reply just yet. Although I had a different type of cancer, any possibility of a cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster so I'm sure someone will answer you soon.

The Thyroid team have called you in for an appointment and they say they've contacted histology to ensure the results will be back so they'll be able to clarify any questions you have - it'll be a good idea to take a notebook with you as no-one remembers what they're told!

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I see you have joined our supportive Thyroid cancer Group, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the same type of journey.

I myself had a sub-total thyroidectomy in 2002 after an ultrasound as I'd developed hyperthyroidism. After surgery required no more  treatment except lifelong Levothyroxine tablets.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks Mrs BJH, I appreciate the reply. Appointment is tomorrow afternoon so hopefully things will be a bit clearer after that. Take care, Memms x

• HI Memms,

It is so stressful, I can totally empathise with you. When I had my initial biopsies done I was told during the scan I'd definitely need to see someone afterwards and then my GP referred me on (my first scan was a non-urgent one and the second was the two week cancer referral). The second scan my surgeon told me I'd be invited back in for the results and there I was given information about my onward treatment.

It was all a bit quick and still feels like I'm in a whirlwind. From my own experience though, I think the radiologists can tell a lot from the ultrasounds.

I hope that helps in someway. I get the feeling I'd've been invited for an appointment even if I didn't need treatment.

I really hope your appointment goes ok.

Fx

• Hi Flodge,

I had my diagnosis yesterday - papillary and it has spread to my lymph nodes. So I’m joining you on the journey! Honestly this is what I was expecting so I felt really relieved to finally know (first felt my lump back in January) and to have a way forward. Also my cancer nurse is a lovely lady from my church which just feels like a lovely coincidence!

Hope you’re doing ok today xx

• Hi Memms,

I’m sorry to hear it is this but it’s great you have a diagnosis and can begin treatment. Sounds very similar to my experience so far as I too discovered the lump in January. That’s so lovely your nurse is from your church- a huge comfort! I had a great chat with mine yesterday and felt so much better afterwards. 

I don’t quite understand this website but if you wanted to DM as we’re going through the same thing at the same time then please do. I have an amazing support system but no one who has had a similar experience so it would be lovely to chat to someone who did! 

Anyway, I hope you had a good day yesterday and don’t have to wait to long for surgery. 
    Fx

• Thanks Flodge, I’d really value connecting in that way! I tried to send you a message but it wouldn’t let me so I think I might have sent you a friend request?! It’s a bit of a confusing system xx

• Hi . Just dropped by and noticed your post. Yes, once you send a friend request you can privately message each other. You see if you have messages in the top right hand corner - 2nd tab in.

Cheers, B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett