Early stage diagnosis of suspected parathyroid tumor

• 3 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hello group,

I originally posted this in the head and neck group, not seeing that there was one for thyroid. Hopefully this group has more specific knowledge and experiences.

I am going through the tests for parathyroid tumours as my bloods have shown elevated calcium and PTH. It's taken a while to get to this as I've spent a good few months feeling fatigued and thirsty and even hungover when I'd not even had any alcohol. I feel cheated! Seriously though, I got to a point in which I was thinking that I was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. It's ironic that it's just four little pea-sized fellas in my throat.

However I've done the (probably stupid) internet research but reading through everything I'm thinking maybe I'm a lucky one in that this can be fixed easily with surgery.

I'm worried though because I've had a swollen gland in my jawline for months and I've just passed it off as being run down. But when I get my head in one of those worry sessions I start thinking the worst in that things may have spread and then I'm in one of those worry spirals.

Has anyone in this forum had treatment for parathyroid tumors and did you ever experience swollen lymph nodes around the same time? Is it something of nothing?

Thank you,

Jon

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

Waiting for a diagnosis is a very difficult time but most people find that once they know what they're dealing with they feel more in control.

The internet is a great resource but often it just feeds our worry instead of giving us the reassurance that we crave. You are far better using reputable sites like this one where you'll find genuine experiences and information.

I have found this information on parathyroid cancer which Macmillan has produced. It includes a section on surgery which you've asked about. However, as you don't have a cancer diagnosis yet, could I gently suggest that you just take things one step at a time, no matter how hard that might seem, and don't jump too far ahead to something which might not even happen.

Do you know when you're likely to get the results of the tests and a diagnosis?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi ,

I have elevated calcium and pth , I've had all the scans but they cant see anything on my parathyroids just a 2cm nodule on my thyroid. 

It's all very strange at my hospital as ears nose and throat look after my thyroid and endocronology parathyroids . Ent want to take the nodule out , endocronology want them to wait 6 months to see what's happening with my parathyroids even though all scans have shown nothing 

Jemma 

• In the thyroid cancer group, we mostly only know about parathyroids as something that can be damaged during thyroid surgery. The two organs are completely different, have different functions but just happen to hang out close to each other. I think you might have been as well covered in head and neck as you would be here.
    I don't think the collective knowledge of the currently active members will be very useful to you. We are, for the most part, people who have had (or are partners, friends, family)  thyroid cancer.
    Try the link that latchbrook gave you for more info. Sadly, I don't think we'll be very useful other than to talk about the symptoms of life with no or damaged parathyroids.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous