feeling anxious as I am due to have surgery

• 8 replies
  • 7 subscribers

I have just been diagnosed as having a thyomama and am feeling anxious as I have to have surgery 

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis and anxiety. Welcome to the online community. I have had a different type of cancer so I hope you don't mind me replying to you. By responding it will place your post back at the top where it may be seen by more members of the thymus group. When you feel up to it and perhaps when you have more information, it is a good idea to complete your profile. You can read anyone's profile by clicking on their username. To write your own profile, click on your username, then profile and save when done. It helps others in their replies to you and saves you repeating yourself.

It is understandable to be nervous about the thought of surgery. I was diagnosed at 52 and had not had an operation or general anaesthetic previously. I have to say that both times I was very well looked after. The link below is some information on thymus cancer.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/thymus-cancer

The link below is information on thymus surgery.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/surgery-for-thymus-gland-cancer

I found it helped me to read about my cancer and to find out what to expect. Take your time though so that you don't become overwhelmed. Best wishes for your surgery.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Thank you so much for your message. I haven’t been able to sleep since I got the result and am still very anxious about the surgery l haven’t had an operation like this before.

• It's very hard not to think ahead and worry about the unknown but remember that your team look after people all day, every day and it is routine for them. They will look after you and I'm sure you will be safe.

If you feel that you need to speak to someone the Macmillan helpline is open and they are great. This is the link to contact https://www.macmillan.org.uk/about-us/contact-us

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• My son has this too. Yesterday he was told that he would not need the 5th round of chemo after all as the scan taken 2 days after the third chemo showed that the tumour had shrunk small enough for him to have surgery after chemo no 4, which starts tomorrow.

Initially, back in December when he was first diagnosed he was worried about the prospect of surgery, especially cutting the breastbone. But several people have told us that collarbones heal well. Surgeons are used to doing them as they have to cut them for heart operations. Now my son is relieved that surgery will be sooner rather than later, and is instead more worried that they might delay it!

After all some people are not lucky enough to be suitable for surgery. Surgery gets rid of the tumour. Think about it that way and you too may come to be relieved that you have been offered it. It is a small price to pay for removing the cancer, even though it does take a few weeks to recover normal movement again.  Good luck with it! 

• Which surgery did your son have 

• I am due to have a video call with my surgeon how long after the video call do I need to wait for the surgery 

• He hasn't had it yet, he has to do one more chemo session first. He is at the hospital doing that today (his 4th). then wait the three weeks for it to work. The planned surgery is to remove his thymus gland completely as it is cancerous.

• All I know about this is that my son will have an MRI scan after this current chemo has worked, for the surgeon to see exactly where the tumour is, prior to the op. It may also depend on availability of surgeons in your area. I would guess that they will do it asap before the tumour has had a chance to get any bigger.